• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
argonaut

Trig Question

This topic is 4489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya all, It's late and I'm having a hard time figuring out a basic trig problem. Basically, I'm trying to get an object to to follow another object on an X, Y coord system. It works fine for Quad I and IV (in traditional trig) but flips to the opposite in Quad II and III. Here is the algorithm I worte (asume all are floats and velocity is constant): positionX = x1 positionY = y1 theta = arctan( (y1 - y2) / (x1 - x2) ) deltaX = cos(theta) deltaY = sin(theta) for each tick { positionX += deltaX positionY += deltaY } Thanks in advance for any help! ~Argo [Edited by - argonaut on July 2, 2006 2:26:05 AM]

Advertisement
What exactly do you mean by follow, could you please offer a bit more information. Because there are several ways to make on object 'follow' another.
Do you want the 'follower' to face the 'target' (in 2D) and move the 'follower' towards the 'target' a specified amount each frame?

Use atan2().

From my linux manual page:

#include <math.h>
double atan2(double y, double x);

DESCRIPTION
The atan2() function calculates the arc tangent of the two vari-
ables x and y. It is similar to calculating the arc tangent of y
/ x, except that the signs of both arguments are used to determine
the quadrant of the result.

OK, just writing about the problem seems to have solved it.

I'm still tired, so if someone wants to explain why the original wasn't working, please feel free. However, my new algorithm is:

positionX = x1
positionY = y1
hypotenuse = sqrt( (x1- x2) ^ 2 + (y1 - y2) ^ 2)
deltaX = (x1 - x2) / hypotenuse
deltay = (y1 - y2) / hypotenuse
for each tick {
positionX += deltaX
positionY += deltaY
}

I guess what I'm not sure about at this point is simply the trig. Why couldn't I derive the angle from the arctan and simply apply it to the deltas?

Anyways, I hope this helps someone at some point :)

~Argo

Quote:
Original post by devin_papineau
Use atan2().

From my linux manual page:

#include <math.h>
double atan2(double y, double x);

DESCRIPTION
The atan2() function calculates the arc tangent of the two vari-
ables x and y. It is similar to calculating the arc tangent of y
/ x, except that the signs of both arguments are used to determine
the quadrant of the result.

This is very useful information! Thanks much for posting it.

Well as far as I can tell your algorithm should have worked assuming x1 and y1 was the position of the target and x2 and y2 was the position of the follower.

My guess as to why it wasn't working is that computers generally work in radians. 2PI = 360 degrees. So you probably need to convert theta to radians before passing it to the cos and sin functions.

Quote:
Original post by BoReDoM_Inc
Well as far as I can tell your algorithm should have worked assuming x1 and y1 was the position of the target and x2 and y2 was the position of the follower.

My guess as to why it wasn't working is that computers generally work in radians. 2PI = 360 degrees. So you probably need to convert theta to radians before passing it to the cos and sin functions.

I'm not really sure. The original algorithm works in a traditional trig sense (so far as I know), but seems to have faultered because I was using the atan function in the <math> library, instead of the atan2 function. Regardless, radians or degrees do not come into play at this point, as trig is trig and independent of radians or degrees.

To solve the error, all I did was rearrange my computations to exclude tangent from the problem. The idea hit me about 5 minutes after I posted when I remembered that Atari BASIC (my first programming language) didn't have tangent functions.

I guess I will chalk this one up to learning the libraries in more depth.

~Argo

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!