• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
arithma

What books are good for game physics

This topic is 4386 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering about the good textbooks about physics in general and mechanics in particular. Is "Classical Mechanics, Goldstein" a good choice? Am just concerned that going into the field of Computer Engineering will make me lose my touch in physics!

Advertisement
That is an excellent book, but make sure you also have a good source of problems. With theoretical mechanics books like those, it's easy to get through the material without really understanding any physics.

Hmmm. Your subject line says "game physics" but your post asks about physics in general. So, I will answer the first.

Dave Eberly's book, Game Physics is quite a good resource for game physics. As are some of the published articles by Chris Hecker, David Baraff, and others who work in the games and computer graphics industries. I am biased, but I also think my chapter on real-time game physics in Introduction to Game Development, along with the collision detection chapter in the same book, are good introductions.

Physics for game developers is also a nice book.

It is a great introduction to physics for games and the author explains very well. Even more, he touches on how to do rigid body kinematics in 3D using quaternions and on contact forces and even particle systems.

It's a nice introduction and there's much to learn from this book. With "Game Physics" you just cover most of the normal stuff and even beyond that.

Quote:
Original post by voguemaster

I disagree - it's an awful book on many counts (in terms of explanations, consistency with terms, choice of units/coordinate system). The demo code is horribly ugly (from what I remember) and the rigid body demo blows up if you let it run beyond the hard-coded time-limit. It's the worst technical book I have.

Physics-based animation is probably the best book that I have read giving a useable background to physics in games. Dave Eberly's is good, but quite hard work if you want to follow it all :)

If you're interested in physics in general you should get a copy of the Feynman Lectures in Physics...

Welp,

Maybe Physics for game developers is easy for me to follow because I'm already familiar with all the physics involved and I'm already an experienced programmer, so what I take from the book is basically the way to implement a physics system in code (that is, how to solve for rotations, how to keep track of the body, etc.)

One other thing - As for Feynman, his volumes are too comprehensive for game development. He is explaining physics in the academic level which is overkill. Not only that, much of the material is not really related to what you're trying to get from a normal physics engine.

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl

l book I have.

Physics-based animation is probably the best book that I have read giving a useable background to physics in games. )

Is the book being supported because the links are all dead ends.

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
Quote:
Original post by voguemaster

I disagree - it's an awful book on many counts (in terms of explanations, consistency with terms, choice of units/coordinate system). The demo code is horribly ugly (from what I remember) and the rigid body demo blows up if you let it run beyond the hard-coded time-limit. It's the worst technical book I have.

I'd agree it's not a good book, though I maybe wouldn't go quite as far as you I was pretty unimpressed with Physics for Game Developers. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking to read up on the subject, there's much better books available.

"Physics For Game Developers" served as a nice intro to physics for someone who does not have a very extensive math background. You'll have to work around its shortcomings though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!