• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
leggyguy

Calculating start points in particle engine

This topic is 4461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am creating a thruster for my spaceship using particles. I have the xyz describing the center of the emitter [cvector emitterPos]. The xyz which is the direction the thruster is pointing and the particles should be heading [cvector direction]. Also I have a float radius of the engine [float coneRadius]. The idea is particles are created at a rondom point on the base of a cone which is based at the emitter [emitterPos] with the pointy tip part of the cone being [direction]. So the bottom round part of the cone is centered at emitterPos, with a radius of float coneRadius. If you follow that, how do I ascertain a random point on that circle plane with is at the base of the cone? I need to position my particles at this random base position once it dies and needs to be recreated. Any help with this is appreciated, I can't quite work it out in my head.

Advertisement
Again I say, wrong place.
The Physics and Maths forum has a purpose, utilize it.
Here, only OpenGL API specific questions only.

But, this is in Physics and Math forum afaik...

and to your question: you mean.. like particle distribution? just add +- random amout of tolerance TO DIRECTION and you will get particles shot in cone shapes.

Ok, the first thing is to get a random point inside a circle. To do that, we get a random radius (between 0 and coneRadius/2) and a random angle (between 0 and 360°). Ok, the coordinates of this, suposing the circle is aligned with the xy plane, would be x = randomRadius*cos(randomAngle), and y = randomRadius*sin(randomAngle).

Ok, the tricky part now is to get this aligned with the cone you have... I'm pretty shure there's a simple matrix multiplication that will magicaly solve this, but I never really understood how matrices worked, so I'll need some more time to think about it (no warranties I solve it tought). One I had and very similar problem, with the same solution I believe, but unfortunely I've lost my files some time ago.

Hope this little bit helps you

EDIT: Well, here's what I found so far: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix
Anyway, maybe an easier way to solve this would be to use OpenGL (I'm assuming your using this, but I think DirectX has it to) own rotation function to do this - but I don't remember how to do it

[Edited by - algumacoisaqualquer on July 2, 2006 4:10:40 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!