This might be asking alot but...

Started by
4 comments, last by password 17 years, 9 months ago
Would someone be able to tell me the requirements i need to make tetris because on the "How do i make games" article, he said to start with tetris but he didnt describe how.
Advertisement
you can find many tutorials for tetris in many languages
with google, for example:

Java:
http://www.java-tutorial.net/DownloadsEng.html

C++ with DirectX:
http://www.codeproject.com/directx/tetris.asp

VB:
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/Tetris_2005.asp

C#:
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/csgatetris.asp

should get you startet ;)
If you don't know how, then you haven't learned enough. How much do you already know? If you're pretty much a complete beginner and you actually want to learn to program, not just make games, then I suggest you to read snk_kid's article on how game programmers are misguided. If you follow some of his advice it will make you understand programming and what you are doing, but if you just want to see a finished Tetris made by you, then it might not be the best way.

Here's what you'll need to learn,
1. Learn to program, here are some books which will help you, choose one of them and just read through it (performing all excercises, experimenting youself, etc.)

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python (free e-book)
How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with C++ (free e-book). Another edition of the previous book, the Python one is IMO better, but some beginners won't read anything which doesn't use C++. This one is better than many traditional C++ tutorials/books and therefore if you're determined to learn C++ you should start with this one.
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (free e-book, and optional video lectures). Uses Scheme (a language in the Lisp family), will not get you quickly started with game programming, but will make you understand programming.

There are also non-free books, but for beginners the previous two1 books are some of the best. Another language which you might use is C#, I don't know of any good books using C# though.

2. Learn graphics programming. You should learn how to display graphics, this is done differently in different languages. In C++ you can use SDL (2D), OpenGL(2D/3D) or Direct3D(2D/3D, Windows/XBox only), others exist, but these are the most popular. In Python a popular library is PyGame. Game programming with Scheme isn't very practical and you won't find many articles/books using Scheme. Therefore if you read Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs then you should now learn a new language, this will just make you look at programming in new ways. Do a search yourself to find stuff about the different libraries (Wikipedia gives a brief overview of the different APIs and languages).

If you have followed step 1 and 2 you should have a good idea how to write Tetris.

1: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with C++ and How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python can be considered one book.
I would definitely *not* suggest that you start with tetris. It's really more complicated than it gets made out to be. What games have you made? I would suggest either starting with a very small text adventure (for one player) or tic-tac-toe. Sounds boring, but they'll help you start to figure out how to think through problems in designing your code.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
I write pong in every new language and graphics API I learn. You'll need to have a decent grasp on the concepts of the language and libraries you plan to use though.
Tetris is actually really hard to do unless you're copying from a tutorial. I have made many different games including rpg's and I don't have any idea how to make tetris atleast not from scratch with what I have memorized. I still don't understand why all people recommend making a tetris clone, especially for beginners..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement