3D Model Loader

Started by
25 comments, last by Surfman19 17 years, 9 months ago
Hey, i search for a nice c++ 3d model loader! which format do you all use? bye
Advertisement
hi,

i think most people are using 3dsmax *.3ds format.
if you're totally new, i'd recommend reading NeHe's tutorials which include loading Milkshape3D's model format *.ms3d

other model formats which come in mind:
- md2, md3 (quake model format)
- dotxsi (softimage's format, similar to 3ds)

hope this helps!
good luck,
- christoph -
When I'm not using my own file formats, I use the XSI format for static models, and the Doom 3 MD5 format for skeletally-animated models.

The XSI format is very well supported by Softimage. It's got a library specifically written for it (the XSI File Tool Kit), and importers/exporters for the major DCC tools like 3ds max and Maya (Softimage|XSI supports it natively). It also supports animation, if you want to use it for that. All of the model development for Half-Life 2 was apparently done in Softimage|XSI, saved as XSI files, then run through various in-house software tools to output models in Valve's file formats.

You might also want to try Microsoft's X file format. It's designed for Direct3D, but you can use it with anything, really.
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
I use .OBJ format. The model loader/renderer is very simple and the models look very good when made well.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
There is this 3Dmodel extension converter called Deep 3dexploration, copnverts any extension i.e. .3ds->.obj, .3ds->.x anything really.....
I cant remember the website, i think its
Here.
obj because is simple, I found very useful code for the obj loader here:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=312335

Bu!
Durmieu
hey,
thanks a lot for your answers;)

i think i will test a .3ds loader...did somone of u made a .3ds loader? where can i find one? it should be platform independent, will be fine!

bye
if you want a very good tutorial on .3ds loading, go to www.spacesimulator.net and check out his tutorials. they are pretty darn good.

and for a break down of everything that is in the .3ds file, check out:
http://pipin.tmd.ns.ac.yu/extra/fileformat/3d/3ds/3dsinfo.txt
Quote:Original post by Surfman19
hey,
thanks a lot for your answers;)

i think i will test a .3ds loader...did somone of u made a .3ds loader? where can i find one? it should be platform independent, will be fine!

bye

I wrote a basic 3ds loader that you can download here. It only implements basic functionalities, but if you want to look at the source, I'm sure it can help you with some details of the format.
The zip file also contains those 3ds format specification files I used to learn the 3ds structure (so you don't need to search them ;-).

EDIT: what do you want to do then, by the way? Be warned that 3ds is very limited, and that's why once I wrote the loader, I decided to write an exporter for lightwave to my custom file format. If you need something more advanced (multiple textures per channel or something like this), then go with something different.
hey cignox1!

thank you very much;)
i just want to load a 3d model with textures into opengl!
does your loader also support animation?

i see you are from italy;) i hope they win tomorrow against germany!!! ;-)

bye

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement