[web] Empty QueryString in PHP

Started by
4 comments, last by gavco98 17 years, 9 months ago
Very simple question, well... it should be anyway. How do I check for an empty query string in PHP. I just wasted a few hours looking up information of the $_SESSION variable which I can't even seem to access. I'm starting to bald over this. [edit] Ah, found the isset() function. Nevermind. [Edited by - lack o comments on July 2, 2006 12:02:48 PM]
Advertisement
well say you want to find if there is any value in the string $user_name all you do is:

if($user_name)
{
echo "You have a username.";
}

then if you want to do something if there is no value to it

if(!$user_name)
{
echo "You do not have a username. Please go back and input one.":
}
Quote:Original post by Raz Malone
well say you want to find if there is any value in the string $user_name all you do is:

if($user_name)
{
echo "You have a username.";
}

then if you want to do something if there is no value to it

if(!$user_name)
{
echo "You do not have a username. Please go back and input one.":
}

Note that the above code will work, but will generate a warning about an undeclared variable (if you have warnings enabled, which I recommend for testing/design purposes)

You should use :

if(isset($variable))

instead...
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Yeah, I come from a ASP background where this wouldn't even be an issue.

Apparently, there must be a setting in the PHP server to automatically fill out the $_SERVER array, namely $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']. I haven't had time to figure out how to do this on my development computer, but the actual web host has it set.

The problem is, on my server if I attempt to check the contents of $_SERVER, it will tell me nothing is set and spit errors. I got around this by simply using "isset()" instead of checking for a value. (I need to know when the query string is empty when a page loads so I can go to the default home page).
However, on the host's server $_SERVER is already filled out and "isset()" always returns true even if the element is empty.

To get around this I used:
if(isset($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']))		{	if($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] != "") {$PageID = $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];}	else	{$PageID = "Home";}	}else	{$PageID = "Home";}

Is that a good idea?

While I'm here, I have another issue. The host has the simple PHP tags enabled. which is conflicting with the XML at the top of my web pages
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

It keeps trying to read it as PHP script. Is there anyway from my standpoint I can fix this?
PHP relies on the web server for the $_SERVER array. If you are having problems with that, I would solve it in a common.inc.php file like:
if(!isset($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'])) $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] = "";

Then the rest of your code can just assume it is there. You should try to keep your page code as clean and trim as possible.

Regarding the <? problem, see http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.short-open-tag.
Quote:
While I'm here, I have another issue. The host has the simple PHP tags enabled. which is conflicting with the XML at the top of my web pages

<?echo "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>";?>

Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement