• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FreJa

urgent help with linux

This topic is 4345 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I messed with .bashrc and screwed it up... and now the most basic commands, such has man or pico, are not found.... help?! Thanks

Advertisement
They are probably in /bin, or /usr/bin, or /usr/local/bin, etc. So if you need them, call them directly by prefixing them with the full path. With that in mind, fire up your favourite editor and use that to fix your .bashrc. If you don't know how you broke it, post it here and someone can probably fix it.

Did you screw the .bashrc in your home directory?
If so at /etc/ there s a global bashrc most likely.

Check if you have a file /etc/skel/.bashrc, which you can use to rebuild your .bashrc.
Also make sure that your environment variable $PATH contains at least /usr/bin (i.e. check with "echo $PATH"). When you made changes to your .bashrc, reread it via "source ~/.bashrc".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!