What's the best engine?

Started by
20 comments, last by ronkfist 17 years, 9 months ago
I don't know how this works exactly, but as a programmer, what is the best engine to work with?
Advertisement
I guess you're talking about graphics engines?

From my point of view the Irrlicht engine is the best example to start with, because it's not as complex as the ones for commercial games, but still covers all your needs.

But if I wasn't developping my own engine, I'd recommend Ogre3D, because it's in my opinion the best one freely available at the moment.
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
Well, I don't want a free one. I want one that I can buy, so that I have the right to publish my games. So I suppose in that case it would be Irrlicht?

(I'll also be hiring programmers... for pay)
Write your own engine, that way you have all the rights to it by default.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Well writing your own engine is extremely complicated. Even if you hire the best programmers, there are other good alternatives.

Torque is "the best engine" around. It costs $100 per developer in your team. You could go for a commerical liscense which is around $500 last time I checked. There are some hitches such as max amount of profit/revenue (not sure which).
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Okay, thanks a lot Shankar. That's really useful information. Now I just need to know how much I would have to end up paying the programmers. lol
Quote:Original post by Highly United
Well, I don't want a free one. I want one that I can buy, so that I have the right to publish my games. So I suppose in that case it would be Irrlicht?

(I'll also be hiring programmers... for pay)

The opensource engines (and other opensource libraries) typically do not limit you to making non-commercial games. The rights to your games are yours, the engine is just a tool. Typically all you need to do is include their license file with your program and probably mention them in the credits. Since you're planing on paying people anyway, you could cut costs by having an IP lawyer analyze the licensing terms of an open engine for you (this might come out cheaper than licensing a commercial engine, which depending on engine can run well into tens of thousands of dollars).

As for your original question, the best engine to work with is probably one that supports all desired and anticipated features in a clean and modular manner, and is well documented.

Quote:
Now I just need to know how much I would have to end up paying the programmers.

Don't forget concept artists, writers, modellers, level designers, sound and effects technicians, voice actors, managers, hardware, software... [grin]
lol I know about all of them as well. However, programmers are much harder to come by, and probably one of the hardest things to learn.

As for your original advice, which open source engine would you recommend, if any?

Thanks for all the help, everyone.
Since you're asking for a shameless plug anyway: The Nebula Device 2

Is what I want to say, but I have little experience with it. The first incarnation was well engineered though.
Quote:Original post by D Shankar
Well writing your own engine is extremely complicated. Even if you hire the best programmers, there are other good alternatives.

Torque is "the best engine" around. It costs $100 per developer in your team. You could go for a commerical liscense which is around $500 last time I checked. There are some hitches such as max amount of profit/revenue (not sure which).

Move over torque: C4
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement