[java] Can you make an OGL applet?

Started by
5 comments, last by Gaheris 17 years, 8 months ago
I was thinking for my OGL/StarFox project (which won't be anytime soon this summer). Instead of making and zipping incremental demos for people to download and delete and download again, why not just make an applet that's accessible right on the webpage! So I wonder is this possible? I've never heard of someone doing such a thing.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
JOGL [smile]

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Applet should be possible since your resources are tiny - streaming them is probably not an issue. But if you want to move past the flat-shaded non-textured low-poly look eventually, you may want to consider using WebStart instead.

LWJGL can be run in an applet as explained here and from what I understand, JOGL can run in an applet too.
But is that only JOGL that is capable of doing this? What about LWJGL? I'll go look into it some more though.

Thanks.

edit: answer was given before question was asked. lol.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

LWJGL is NOT embeddable into an applet. (at least not normally, the LWJGL devs did mange to hack around a bit at this)

if your goal is relieving people of manually updating your demos, just deploy it through Java Webstart, it's like the application version of the applet's auto-updating capability.

applets are a bit outdated now anyway. deploy applications instead and take advantage of fullscreen without shocking the user who thought they were going to stay within the bounds of their web browser ;)
FYI, LWJGL now supports applets: http://lwjgl.org/wiki/doku.php/lwjgl/tutorials/applet
jME (Java Monkey Engine) which is based on LWJGL now supports Applets too in the CVS version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement