• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cypix

Blending md5's

This topic is 4487 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking of the best way to combine several animations for different actions in our engine. I don't mean transitions, thats easy, i mean combining say a run anim and a shoot anim smoothly. We are using md5 models and animations. I know we can have separate animations for legs and arms like old quake and then it would be easy to combine, but doom is not doing it that way, so there must be a better way. So what is the best way? edit: maybe i should indeed devide it up and play for example a pistol fire animation on upper body and a run animation on lower body when player shoots while running?

Advertisement
Theoretically it is very easy. I don't know the md5 format but i assume by now ID is using rigid bodies with bones?

SO you have various animations for the bones, some for the arm movement and some for the running movement and so on.

So the idea is that the running movement (obviously effects all of the bones) sets a multiplier for each bone it manipulates, such as giving the leg 1 and the arms .1

So when you have two animations running you add them together using this multiple, you could also average them but this will look horrible with the arms half swinging as the person runs and half waving (or shooting or whatever).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!