how to break down mesh object into primitives

Started by
6 comments, last by DogCity 17 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I need to break down some complex mesh objects into primitives (boxes, spheres, and convex mesh) and organise them into a group of shapes, because the physics engine I use (Novodex) requires primitives for collision geometry. I'm not a professional artist and I use 3ds Max for modelling. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Advertisement
You're not a professional artist AND you use 3Ds Max. Interesting...

Anyhow, you are talking about bounding boxes/spheres basically right? You don't need to break down any meshes, just position the bounding geometry so it covers stuff quite accurately. Whats this about a group of shapes?
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
No, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean bounding volume.

What I mean is partitioning a complex mesh object into a group of primitives (boxes, spheres, cylinders, and convex mesh).

I'd suggest taking the DogCitys suggestion.

It is rather complex operation to split your existing mesh into primitives. Of course you can do some optimizing to reduce the amount of triangles, but that won't take you far.

Usually, the appearance of the object (from the point of the view of the Physics API) is rather simple compared to the original mesh data. Usually the artist places these basic primitives (boxes, cylinders, spheres) to give a rough approximation of the object for the Physics API.

yes, they don't actually breakdown the original mesh into those shapes... they simply create them and outline the general shape of thier model.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
So what you said is: (correct me if I get something wrong)

There are actually two models, one for rendering, the other for physics. We need create the physics model using primitives to approximate the mesh shape?
yes ^^
That's the ticket, sorry I would have explained more fully if I fully understood the question :)
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement