the Best Lanuage???

Started by
28 comments, last by katsh 17 years, 9 months ago
hey every1 ... im a beginner n dont know much about gamez programming rite now. i wanted to knw which is the lanuage used to write game programs?? what i have found out till now is that C/C++ is quite popular but im a lil confused here... is C/C++ used for ps2 games with such high quality graphics as well...??? also, which would be the best lanuage for me to learn .. so that i can work on it n go on to write programs in it..and is visual C++ used more these days or is C/C++ the best lanuage for games programming for PS2 and other consoles with high quality graphics..
Advertisement
There is no best language. I personally use a C++ core with gamecode written in Python in my next title.

C/C++ is the most popular language in industry. It is used to develop PS2 games, but it is not all you need to develop PS2 games (you will need an official contract and development kit from Sony, which requires you to be an established game development company with office space, a publisher, and assured financial flow). This holds true for all current consoles.

Visual C++ is an editor for C++. It is not a different language.

Last, I'm moving this to For Beginners.
The majority of current commercial computer games are written in a combination of languages. The core engine might be written in C or C++ with some routines done in assembly with some sort of scripting language such as Lua or Python to create elements of the actual game.

As for learning, if you don't already know how to program I would suggest starting with a relatively easier language like Python or C#.
Lua

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by ahsas
which would be the best lanuage for me to learn ..

English, and then either VB.Net or C#.
Quote:Original post by Thevenin
Quote:Original post by ahsas
which would be the best lanuage for me to learn ..

English,

Please. I've seen people here from Canada, the US, and England use far worse grammatical constructs than this person. Don't be a snob.
Quote:and then either VB.Net or C#.

Now that's just plain mean [smile]

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
English,[..]

Please. I've seen people here from Canada, the US, and England use far worse grammatical constructs than this person. Don't be a snob.

I suppose your right, and I guess I've forgotten this is the beginners forum.

and then either VB.Net or C#.

Do you have something against those languages?
English,[..]

No. [grin] In all seriousness, when someone is learning about programming for the first time, IMHO, I wouldn't suggest C# or VB.Net. I mean if you click on the form it's just code everywhere and no intuitive way to discern the information. If a VM'd language is to be used, I would use Java. Technically C#, Java, and VB.net are pretty much the same thing. But normally with Java, you download a compiler and start programming from scratch. With C# and Java, you start, normally, with the Forms. Yes, I know you can code from scratch. I'm just talking about the normal first approach to both languages.

I know I just jumbled something up. Sorry. Hopefully I got some part of my point across.

English,[..]

With C# and Java, you start, normally, with the Forms.

A little bit of a semantic error there, don't you think?
If you need on lang to do everything C++. More 3rd party libs than any other lang.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement