• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Question about C++ Windows libraries

This topic is 4222 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting Windows programming, and I'm noticing there's a library for everything. I mean, they replace "normal" c++ libraries. So is there a reason why I should use the Windows version of library when I already know how to use a standard c++ equivalent? The specific case I am thinking of- I know how to use <fstream> but Windows has it's own library for file access which looks harder to use. Should I bother learning the Windows version, or just stick to fstream?

Advertisement
My experience was to learn it and then not use it. I don't like the windows FILE idioms, but you should know them in case you ever need to work with them. If you're ever on a team that uses them: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

EDIT:
The other posters below reminded me: you should also check out boost's take on filesystem tasks. The standard library classes are a little simplistic, and boost complements them very well.

Quote:
Original post by polaris2013
I'm starting Windows programming, and I'm noticing there's a library for everything. I mean, they replace "normal" c++ libraries. So is there a reason why I should use the Windows version of library when I already know how to use a standard c++ equivalent? The specific case I am thinking of- I know how to use <fstream> but Windows has it's own library for file access which looks harder to use. Should I bother learning the Windows version, or just stick to fstream?

The c++ standard libraries are still user code, ie they cannot do many things the os must do (allocate memory, talk to hard disks). You will find that the c++ standard libraries are built on top of os specific code for these things. So in a sense you are already using win32 file stuff isf you use fstream.

The only reason you should use os-specific stuff is that it can often be more flexible and do more, for example c++ has no standard library compreheding directories, so you could use win32 for that. Or file attributes or access rights.

IMO use c++ ones where you can, as you said it can be harder i prefer the c++ i/o myself ).

If you need some advanced features that fstream doesn't offer to you - use windows version.

Note: std::fstream (C++) and FILE* (C) both use the windows version on windows OS, some other api on other operating systems (so if you need to compile your project on other platforms - you won't have to change anything).

Guest Anonymous Poster
And I wouldn't say the Windows File Management API replaces the "normal" C++ library as you say it; it's more like the "normal" C++ library replaces the WFM API. CreateFile was there for at least 3 or 4 years before any compiler even had an STL implementation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement