Help with scripting and my game

Started by
2 comments, last by Dospro 17 years, 9 months ago
Ok. This is hard to explain, even worse, my languge is not english, but i will do my best. Well. I have programmed a game engine for platform games. It really took hard work. So i wanted to start with the game itself, but well, the game is the biggest code and kind of crazy(you may know what i mean). I can start writing the code directly to the game, but, y will have to compile everything each time i want to test. So while reading a book i found that i can use scripting languages to write the main game code. The only thing i know about scripting is Perl and &#106avascript(both for web development). So, my big question is: How does a scripting language works for games/games-engiens? I mean, how can a scripting language help me do the game? And i have some other doubts: -What scripting language is the best? Or what are differences which make ech languaje special? -What do i need to use it with my engine? -The compile time now is minimal, would it be really worth to use scripting? -What are the true advantages of scripting languges? -And disadvantages? -What else can be done with scripting languages? I know it is a large list. I have read some tutorials here in gamedev, but still am uneasy with this doubts. I hope someone can help me to resolve my doubts.
Advertisement
Without knowing the current system you're working with, it's hard to determine what would best suit your needs. Some popular scripting/programming languages are Squirrel, Lua and Python.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
-What scripting language is the best? Or what are differences which make ech language special?

Each language has different syntax and different libraries. Some are easier to bind to C/C++ than others.

-What do i need to use it with my engine?

That depends entirely on the language.

-What are the true advantages of scripting languges?

See the Forum FAQ.

-And disadvantages?

Sometimes they run slowly compared to native code. And sometimes the effort of integrating one with your program is more than the benefit you gain. The size of your executable is likely to grow.

-What else can be done with scripting languages?

Anything. Typically, they're programming languages like any other.
I didnt sww any Faqs in the forum, thats why the question. Anyway. Thanks for the answer, it was really usefull.
Now, as you may know, im trying to use &#106avascript as my script language(SpiderMonkey).
Know of some better documentation of the engine better than the one in mozilla?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement