• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Compile Errors W/ Function Pointer Array & Class Member Function

This topic is 4249 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok Im using Visual Studio EE Edition with C++. An example of my code and logic is below. MyClass.h FILE
class MyClass
{
public:
   MyClass();//Constructor
   void function1();
   void function2();
private:
   void (*fPtr[2])();// declare function pointer array

};

MyClass.cpp FILE
MyClass::MyClass()
  {
    fPtr[0] = &MyClass::function1;
    fPtr[1] = &MyClass::function2;
  }

void MyClass::function1()
  {
  }
void MyClass::function2()
   {
   }

I get a compile error of //---------------------------------------------------------------------------error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'void (__thiscall GameMap::* )(void)' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void)' There is no context in which this conversion is possible \\---------------------------------------------------------------------------// Now I never dealt with function pointers forClass member functions so thats probally where most of my mistakes are. For all I know I might not even be able to make a function pointer for a class. But I cant understand what I am doing wrong. So any help I would REALLY appreciate. :)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by PB Baller27
Now I never dealt with function pointers forClass member functions so thats probally where most of my mistakes are. For all I know I might not even be able to make a function pointer for a class.

You can, but they work differently and are not compatible with pointers to non-members.

void (MyClass::*fPtr[2])();

The call syntax is also different, since you need to provide an object at that point: (object.*member_pointer)() or (object_pointer->*member_pointer)() rather than just non_member_pointer().

Check the C++ FAQ Lite.

Thanks Fruny! :) However yet another bug has come out of its hole.
When dereferencing the function ptr to execute a function,I get a compile error.

CODE:
*fPtr[0];

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------\\
error C2171: '*' : illegal on operands of type 'void (__thiscall GameMap::* )(void)'
\\---------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
The call syntax is also different, since you need to provide an object at that point: (object.*member_pointer)() or (object_pointer->*member_pointer)() rather than just non_member_pointer().

um... yea.... Sorry about that. My brain wasn't exaclty "on" last night. However thank you very much for the help and the program is now working. Have a great 4th of JULY!!! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement