• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Startup Movies?

This topic is 4305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm sure everyone here has started up a game, and saw the movies showing the producer's logo (eg activisions spinning logo, ID's crazy breathing machine thing, and so on). Well I want to implement this into a game I'm making, but have no idea how to do it, so if someone could get me started that would be great. If its API specific, I'm using Direct X. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
It doesnt seem any harder than making a movie with your "logo", loading it at start up, and then playing it.

I know that directX has something to play movies of most types; check out the examples because I remember playing around with something where DirectX would open a movie on my computer and play it, but it would do all these hardware rotations and stuff on it.

Just checked the samples in the direct x sdk, I saw nothing showing how to play movies on start up. Sence you feel as though there something in the direct x API ill post this in the direct x section.

I'm pretty sure their API is called DirectPlay. I don't know for sure though, and it may have been superceded by using the Windows Media API by now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
the api is directshow.
but I think it was declared deprecated...

but you can search for this term and you will get dozen results ^^

Marc

Intro movies really **** me off sometimes. Please don't be one of those developers who doesn't let the intro movie be skipped. I paid for the game already, I know what company made it, and I don't want to spend 15 seconds watching their commercial everytime I turn on the game.

Having to press enter 4 or 5 times to skip all the intro movies is almost as annoying. One click should cancel all of them, or put a setting in the options to disable intros.

Sorry, I just had to say it.

All movies should be payed only the first time game is run(think Warcraft III and WoW). DirectShow has been deprecated and moved to platform sdk. I think its a shame though because it could even play mp3 and videos.

Directshow is deprecated but you can still use it. (Not sure what they'll replace it with though in DX10 or later)

As far as I can remember it is a bit of a bitch to get working properly in DX Exclusive mode (windowed was easier).

When I tried it in exclusive mode it sometimes played and sometimes didn't, sometimes skipping frames. I however remember reading somewhere you should put DX in IMMEDIATE mode instead of DEFAULT. However, haven't got time to test it yet.

Your other option is the Bink player, it seems to be very popular nowadays and many games use it. I think you need to pay for it though.

PS Search the forum and maybe look at my previous posts, I tried a lot and gave up after a while.

A simpler option would be just to render your logo with drawing calls. For example load your logo image as a texture and display it. Perhaps fading it in and out with alpha blending or somthing. I guess it depends on how fancy you want to get.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement