• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jagguy

how to build gui

This topic is 4546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how do you get many windows (gui)on the same screen with dx9/c++. Do you need to use MFC or is there a dx9 way eg a screen with 1/3 at the bottom for a control panel or panel setting along the side etc. [Edited by - jagguy on July 4, 2006 6:12:44 AM]

Advertisement
is it part of directx to create a gui, I see DXUT stuff which I try to avoid but what is the done thing?

I just wanted to know what the standard way is, as it seems directx doesn't have these functions other than DXUT-quik style.

It seems it is a matter for windows programming and not directx

Guest Anonymous Poster
DX is a graphics renderer. If you want GUI functionality you have to build it yourself.

If you want a dialog box, use the graphics renderer to render the graphics needed by the dialog box.

You can either develop your own GUI system, or use someone elses (like Crazy Eddies)

ok I can understand that.

I did see in directx a chain swapping for 2 windows and having a control panle for a game (eg car panel for a car game ), is this something that you need to know? There appears some dx functionality for multi-windows.

The swapping refers to backbuffering, not multiple windows.

Your GUI, such as a car control panel, would just be drawn after all other scene elements.

Quote:
Original post by ItsDoh
The swapping refers to backbuffering, not multiple windows.

Your GUI, such as a car control panel, would just be drawn after all other scene elements.

so you are rendering 2 different scenes on the screen?

Typically you will render the world, the 3D scene most likely first, like all the scenary, models etc. Then for the GUI, or HUD (Heads Up Display) you will rendering that in 2D on top.

So yes two scenes, but not two 3D scenes.

Dave

Quote:
Original post by Dave
Typically you will render the world, the 3D scene most likely first, like all the scenary, models etc. Then for the GUI, or HUD (Heads Up Display) you will rendering that in 2D on top.

So yes two scenes, but not two 3D scenes.

Dave

I am trying to find an example program with a 3d dx scene and a gui, (not dxut) and this is difficult to find.

I take it the 3d scene is rendered on part of the screen and can just a link to a gui creation somewhere.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!