• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zipster

Integrating Direct3D 8.0 and DirectDraw 7.0

This topic is 6445 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am developing a 3D game, so I decided to go with DX since thats the API im most familiar with, and it comes with all the side-dishes (DirectInput, DirectAudio, etc.), and I''m not very familiar with OGL. I like D3D 8.0 so far because its easy to use, and I just like it. SO heres the problem. I want to implement a 2D overlay system for things like popup menues, dialog boxes, etc. BUT D3D 8.0 doesn''t HAVE any DirectDraw anymore. The first possibly, which was just to render the menus and stuff as 3D objects I threw out the window since thats overkill. I then decided just to hop back down to version 7.0. But then i was thinking of all the advancments and shortcuts I''d lose while leaving 8.0, making coding 3D in 7.0 longer and harder. SO there is one last thought: use 8.0 for the 3D, but then create the DirectDraw object from 7.0 for my 2D things. I don''t think ive ever heard of something like this being done before, and deep down im pretty sure it wont work. All i need is some suggestions on the how to go about this. I bet I''ll just have to go back down to 7.0 huh?

Advertisement
Use d3d8 to draw sprites. I don''t now much about the topic for now, but search the help file for stuff on sprites. You even get the added benefit that sprites will scale as the reslotution changes!
You just have to learn to think in terms of sprites and stretchable non-direct access surfaces.
DmGoober

Your menus will have to be textures mapped onto untransformed triangle strips or fans which form quadrilaterals. I know, it seems like a waste to me too, which is why I am using DirectX7 for my game. But whereas my game is 2d, yours is 3d, so you need DirectX8. And it''s really not that much of a waste.

Actually, this technique really isn''t that old. It''s quite comon in OpenGL games, and is just about the only EFFICIENT way to go in either OpenGL or DirectX8. Since it only requires transforming four vertexes per menu, it''s not really inefficient. In fact, in quakeIII, every character in the console or any on-screen message is mapped onto a seperate quad, with little to no performance loss. So it does work well. Also, you can make transparent menus and the like, because now it is hardware accelerated. So it''s not all bad news!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!