• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
roel

On Hecker's rigid body series: torque and force

This topic is 4399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've read Hecker's famous series on rigid body dynamics, and I have the feeling that I refreshed and updated my intuition on this kind of physics. I have on question though: If I probably understood it, he tells us to sum up all the forces applied on the object, and use that to calculate the linear acceleration of the Center of Mass. Next, the same forces are used to calculate the torque. In the case of the torque, the application positions are considered (and thus the amount of force that results in torque), but in the linear acceleration, application positions are ignored. Now I wonder if this doesn't result in more force or rather more energy than actually is applied? Shouldn't one also consider the position of application in case of the linear acceleration calculation? That is, calculating the part that is put into the torque, and using the remaining part for linear acceleration? Because pictures are nice, I made a picture of a test situation I was thinking about: In the left case, I expect that the sphere doesn't rotate, but just moves. In the right case, I expect that the sphere rotates, but doesn't move. Or at least, that it doesn't move as much as in the left case. Thanks in advance! I hope that you guys can help me to develop my intuition :)

Advertisement
Read paragraph 5.5 of another famous series ;-)

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~baraff/pbm/rigid1.pdf

Neat! Thanks! :) I'm glad that my question wasn't that strange either ;) Thanks :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!