• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Rendering to the alpha channel

This topic is 4220 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I have a somewhat complex problem. I am working on an application which displays an texture on a quad (stretched to full screen 800x600 ortho mode) and I want to programmatic generate the alpha channel. So I did a trick, I rendered my alpha image by drawing lots of blured blobs, next I used glCopyTexImage2D to "grab" the image, i cleared the scene and using some blending tricks did the rest. All was well until I tried running this on an ATI card, OUCH, oh so very slow. I did a little reading and discovered that glCopyTexImage2D works ok with nVidia but very slow with ATI. Now I have to find some solution that works with ATI, preferably without having to rewrite everything. Ideas ? Thanks ! Shachar.

Advertisement
Which ATi/NVIDIA cards and how much of a performance difference are you seeing?

You could try using 'glCopyTexSubImage2D' but I doubt it'll improve performance in your case.

Alternatively you can use P-Buffers or Frame Buffer Objects to directly render to a texture (avoids copying the texture back to system memory).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement