• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
grunt123

doing HDR effects with particles ...

This topic is 4339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm new to HDR stuffs. If i want particle effects to have HDR effects, do i have to have HDR textures for every particle textures?

Advertisement
Depends. You haven't provided enough information to give useful answer.

I would also like to note that many effects that people associate with HDR do not use HDR at all.

if i want to have some smoke effect affected by HDR ... do i need to have HDR texture for each different smoke texture? (i'm assuming that you need HDR textures for every game object that you want to have HDR effect ... or am i wrong?)

Quote:
Original post by grunt123
(i'm assuming that you need HDR textures for every game object that you want to have HDR effect ... or am i wrong?)

No, you don't *need* to use any HDR textures at all. For example, when I cooked up a HDR demo I just used standard textures (8 bits per channel), which I viewed as the object's albedo, and just relied on lights with, "HDR-level," intensities. People tend to get a bit confused when it comes to HDR, thanks to it being a new buzz-word.

well if you want to make your particles glow a bit (this is what I can understand from what you want from the HDR), is simply multiple your diffuse color with a certain value (make it above 1). If the value is big enough the particles will glow and the color will bleed during the tonemapping.

regards,
Kenzo

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!