• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Random numbers

This topic is 4219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would I create a number randomizer that would create a random number each time I ran the program, because the one I have now creates the number but's it's always the same one.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Kenny77
How would I create a number randomizer that would create a random number each time I ran the program, because the one I have now creates the number but's it's always the same one.
It depends. In programming you're usually dealing with PRNGs (pseudo-random number generators), so the question isn't so much how to generate a random number but how to make it appear random.

The most easily accessible PRNG (assuming C or C++) is probably the rand() function. This function generates a series of pseudo-random numbers; the series is determined by the seed, which you can set with srand(). The appearance of randomness can usually be accomplished (for all practical purposes) by calling srand() with a value that is unlikely to be the same between executions. Quite often a value derived from the system clock is used for this.

If you want more sophisticated capabilities, you might look into Boost, which I believe has some PRNG classes.

Yeah, srand(time()), rand() % MAX_RESULT is about the best way, there are people that layer things and use loops and all sorts of things to get "more random" numbers, but the real nitty-gritty is, you're using a finite system, so there is of course, no way to truly just pick a number out of thing air.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement