• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

notebook.

This topic is 4190 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

well, i am tired of a desktop computer and want the best notebook that there is. i`ll be using it for everything and taking it everywhere. so it needs to have the best specifications. needs to be customizable if possible, not a big deal. setup needs to be good; buttons, keypad etc. everything needs to be to the best of quality. the only thing is it needs to have some sort of way that i can pay it monthly. i know this is kind of blain and doesnt expalin much, but i just need the best of the best notebook. so i am sorry if you guys are confused or mad or people keep posting these kind of posts just for the heck of it. but i am not, i am going to work for it and pay it monthly. i know a lot of people post this kind of topics and dont bother looking for the notebook themselves but i have. i cant find the best one. but i know a lot of you at GDnet are very good at finding this stuff. so if you guys have any questions or want to yell at me or tell me to find it myself; go ahead. maybe i deserve it. but for those of you who feel like helping me...thank you. THANKS AGAIN GDNET -Enjoi- P.S. if this thread doesnt belong in the for beginners sections, im sorry. maybe a mod could move it to the lounge for me. thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I guess most people don't buy more than one notebook per "performance era", so it is hard to compare.

You ought to find a comparative review of todays notebooks in a magazine or website somewhere.

And as always, the best notebook today is probably not the best notebook tomorrow.

FYI, I have a Zepto Znote 4015 and I'm very pleased.

And yeah, this is more of a Lounge thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ever heard of Consumer Reports?

They're unbiased and do a lot of tests to check quality. I'd check there first if I were you, but your best bet would be to go to your local library. My high school library alone has five years worth of issues that are cataloged and most libraries have computer search terminals that could help. And if not there;s always the librarian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by enjoi5o50
well, i am tired of a desktop computer and want the best notebook that there is.

There isn't one.

Quote:

i`ll be using it for everything and taking it everywhere. so it needs to have the best specifications.

No, a computer you take everywhere needs to be portable.
A computer you use for everything needs to be able to do everything. They also need a big enough case to fit everything in.
Those goals clearly conflict. You'll have to compromise something. If you want the best computer there is, it has to be a desktop. Laptops have plenty of shortcomings, such as:
- Smaller screen
- Smaller keyboar
- Awful mouse
- Less space for hardware (try fitting a Creative X-Fi sound card along with a Quad-SLI graphics setup, a dualcore processor and 2+ harddrives into a notebook. It just can't be done.

Quote:

needs to be customizable if possible

Notebooks typically aren't. Not to the same extent as a desktop system at least.

Quote:

setup needs to be good;

Setup of what?

Quote:

buttons, keypad etc. everything needs to be to the best of quality.

Buy a separate keyboard. The kind *desktop* systems use. :)

So quite simply, you have to choose what you want, or more importantly, what you are willing to sacrifice.

Do you need a full-size keyboard? Do you need a big screen? What kind of resolution do you need? (If you plan to use it for everything, and that everything includes programming, you'll probably want a decent screen with a good resolution. That can be hard to get with a notebook)
How long battery life do you need? If you want top performance, don't expect it to last more than 45 minutes on the battery.
Moreover, if you want top performance, nothing beats a desktop system anyway.
Do you need the best graphics capabilities? Do you need a 64-bit processor?
How much harddrive space do you need?

Quite simply, you need to narrow down your search. There isn't a "best" notebook". There is a "fastest notebook", there is a "most portable notebook", there is a "most feature-rich notebook" and there is a "cheapest notebook" or a notebook with great screen and keyboard, but you can't get one that's best at everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just bought an Asus W2JB. It's basically the top of the line as far as current-generation notebooks, without being stupidly excessive (*cough* Alienware *cough*). I'm sure there are retailers around who will lease machines for decent rates, but prepare to get shafted in the long term - you'll always save a fair bit of money by saving up cash and buying a system outright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Do you need a full-size keyboard?


no. the size keyboards notebooks have are fine.

Quote:
Do you need a big screen?


not HUGE. 17" is a good size. thats what size my desktop display is and it is suffiecent. i have seen notebooks with that size screen.

Quote:
What kind of resolution do you need? (If you plan to use it for everything, and that everything includes programming, you'll probably want a decent screen with a good resolution. That can be hard to get with a notebook)


i have a dell deminsion 3000 with the 17" flat panel screen. the size and resolution is decent. but what would be a recommened resolution for "Everything", including programming?

Quote:
How long battery life do you need? If you want top performance, don't expect it to last more than 45 minutes on the battery.


well most of the time i will be using the power adapter and was thinking of getting a AC power adapter for the car. so the only time id be needing the battery was when im away from an outlet or and AC adapter. so 45 mins-1 hour would probaly be sufficient.


Quote:
Do you need the best graphics capabilities?


yes i do.

Quote:
Do you need a 64-bit processor?


sorry, i am not that familiar with what a 64-bit processor is? i need a 2.0 ghz processor though.

Quote:
How much harddrive space do you need?


about 180-200 GB. now i have seen notebooks with that much hard drive space and i know its a little overkill, but im paying for it so...

Quote:
Quite simply, you need to narrow down your search. There isn't a "best" notebook". There is a "fastest notebook", there is a "most portable notebook", there is a "most feature-rich notebook" and there is a "cheapest notebook" or a notebook with great screen and keyboard, but you can't get one that's best at everything.


the most important out of what you mentioned is "fastest notebook" and "most feature-rich notebook". is it possible to combine those two? "most portable notebook" isnt REALLY a big deal and that was explained above.

EDIT: to the other people who replyed to my thread. thank you. i will check out the consumer reports and notebooks mention later. thanks.
EDIT2: also, sorry it took me so long to reply i have been busy in the last couple days.

THANK YOU

-Enjoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
I just bought an Asus W2JB. It's basically the top of the line as far as current-generation notebooks, without being stupidly excessive (*cough* Alienware *cough*). I'm sure there are retailers around who will lease machines for decent rates, but prepare to get shafted in the long term - you'll always save a fair bit of money by saving up cash and buying a system outright.

Nice to see someone using Asus; I've got a V6J and I'm very happy with it. It's got a 15.1" SXGA+ screen with a ZBD policy and the machine's very thin, look into it if your'e interested.

P.S.
Battery life isn't the greatest, but if it's something important then you can always buy an extra battery or two.

P.P.S.
Also, the palm-rest is aluminium so that's pretty nice, also keeps my hands warm at winter time!

[Edited by - raz0r on July 9, 2006 5:31:21 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by enjoi5o50
Quote:
Do you need a big screen?

not HUGE. 17" is a good size. thats what size my desktop display is and it is suffiecent. i have seen notebooks with that size screen.

For a notebook, that is huge. [grin]

Quote:

Quote:
What kind of resolution do you need?

i have a dell deminsion 3000 with the 17" flat panel screen. the size and resolution is decent. but what would be a recommened resolution for "Everything", including programming?

You tell me. What resolution do you use? I personally run everything at 1600x1200, but your mileage may vary. I know people who never go above 1024x768, and some who prefer 2000-whatever x 1500'ish.

What matters is what *you* want.

Quote:

Quote:
How much harddrive space do you need?


about 180-200 GB. now i have seen notebooks with that much hard drive space and i know its a little overkill, but im paying for it so...

I don't think I've seen a notebook with more than 120GB, so that might be hard to fix.

So overall:
First, I'd ask why you want a notebook. They're not "cool", and yours won't be much easier to carry than a desktop system. Meanwhile, it will have a smaller keyboard and a much lousier mouse, and much lower harddrive capacity. And it's practically impossible to upgrade it later on.

But hey, if you want to jump on the "notebooks are cooler and beats desktop systems at everything" wagon, who am I to stop you?
Check out AlienWare or VoodooPC
You won't get more powerful beasts than those (at least in the notebook arena).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
Quote:
Original post by enjoi5o50
Quote:
Do you need a big screen?

not HUGE. 17" is a good size. thats what size my desktop display is and it is suffiecent. i have seen notebooks with that size screen.

For a notebook, that is huge. [grin]

Quote:

Quote:
What kind of resolution do you need?

i have a dell deminsion 3000 with the 17" flat panel screen. the size and resolution is decent. but what would be a recommened resolution for "Everything", including programming?

You tell me. What resolution do you use? I personally run everything at 1600x1200, but your mileage may vary. I know people who never go above 1024x768, and some who prefer 2000-whatever x 1500'ish.

What matters is what *you* want.

Quote:

Quote:
How much harddrive space do you need?


about 180-200 GB. now i have seen notebooks with that much hard drive space and i know its a little overkill, but im paying for it so...

I don't think I've seen a notebook with more than 120GB, so that might be hard to fix.

So overall:
First, I'd ask why you want a notebook. They're not "cool", and yours won't be much easier to carry than a desktop system. Meanwhile, it will have a smaller keyboard and a much lousier mouse, and much lower harddrive capacity. And it's practically impossible to upgrade it later on.

But hey, if you want to jump on the "notebooks are cooler and beats desktop systems at everything" wagon, who am I to stop you?
Check out AlienWare or VoodooPC
You won't get more powerful beasts than those (at least in the notebook arena).


1. i am running at 1024x768 im pretty sure. which it is decent but if possible on a noteboook, would like it to be better.

2. if you customize a notebook whcih a lot that ive looked at are. you can get some up to 200GB hard drive.

3. i am not jumping on the "notebooks are cool" wagon. i want a notebook because i am tired of sitting at my desk and not being able to move around the house or bring my computer on trips with me because sadly to to say i am obessesed with the computer. so i would like to able to be somewhat versatile and mobile with my computer. and i am planning on geting a notebook carrying case backpack which will make a little easier to carry around my notebook. most of the notebooks i have used have had a decent keyboard and i also plan on getting a wireless mouse to use when im doing something that requires great speed or accuracy. and from what i`ve read on pcworld it is not impossible to upgrade a notebook. i read a tutorial on pcworld that told you all the steps and ways to upgrade pretty much every part of you notebook, including the screen in keyboard.

4. i will also check at you recommedations on notebooks. thanks.

5. also, if anyone has any recommedations on a type of PC besides a notebook or desktop that fits my reason for wanting a notebook i am open for that, too.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES

-Enjoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Enselic
I guess most people don't buy more than one notebook per "performance era", so it is hard to compare.

You ought to find a comparative review of todays notebooks in a magazine or website somewhere.

And as always, the best notebook today is probably not the best notebook tomorrow.

FYI, I have a Zepto Znote 4015 and I'm very pleased.

And yeah, this is more of a Lounge thread.


not to be rude, but do you know if they have the zepto website in english?

THANKS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by kordova
I am enjoying development in Mac/Linux/Windows on my new MacBook Pro.

Mine has just departed Memphis (thank you Internet).

It's the same computer as Apoch's unit, just made by Apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
Less space for hardware (try fitting a Creative X-Fi sound card along with a Quad-SLI graphics setup, a dualcore processor and 2+ harddrives into a notebook. It just can't be done.

Tell that to Alienware considering they sell the ALX notebook with those exact specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ok i have figured out that out of all the "powerhouse notebook companies" i like alienware the best. now i just cant decide which alienware notebook is the most powerful? i want the most powerful but not if its totally imobile and unportable. so can anyone give me there opinions on the most powerful alienware notebook?

THANKS

-Enjoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wouldn't go with alienware (they are the lowest rated on notebook service). You are paying extra for a name.

you can check this Dell laptop out:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

20" screen and fast.

as said before your wasting your money if you're doing the monthly payments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You could also look at sony. I have no experience with them myself but they have a new line of computers that look really cool, I forgot the name though.

Quote:
ok i have figured out that out of all the "powerhouse notebook companies" i like alienware the best. now i just cant decide which alienware notebook is the most powerful? i want the most powerful but not if its totally imobile and unportable. so can anyone give me there opinions on the most powerful alienware notebook?
I would just go through and get the most expensive of everything, that should take care of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by enjoi5o50
ok i have figured out that out of all the "powerhouse notebook companies" i like alienware the best. now i just cant decide which alienware notebook is the most powerful? i want the most powerful but not if its totally imobile and unportable. so can anyone give me there opinions on the most powerful alienware notebook?


The most powerful notebooks with the larger screens ARE going to be immobile and very heavy ... And not to mention have very poor battery life. IMO, this is a trap many laptop buyers get into -- the most expensive of everything isn't always the best choice since with laptops we must take into account many other factors other than power! Seriously, if you're willing to sacrifice mobility and battery life for power, you should get a desktop instead (and you'll save quite a bit of money in the process) ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have an old Dell Latitude C400 that I have to drag all over the UK and one of the things that impresses me most about this laptop from a portability point of view is that the floppy and CD-ROM drives are external, so if I don't need them I don't have to carry them. Probably a bit of a silly point of view but when you are making six train changes in five hours, you want every bit of help you can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i've been searching around dell, toshiba, and sony lately. and i have gone back to the Sony Vaio AR Series notebooks a few times. but on most notebook customizations it says the processors speed. but on the sony vaio AR's it does not say the processor speed. so, i was wondering what speed(in ghz) is the Intel Core Duo Processor T2600?


THANKS



-Enjoi

P.S. sorry for no activity on my part in the thread lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ASUS W5A/W5Ae and Z33A look like really nice laptops. They do all you really need a laptop to do. They're small and not going to break your back lugging them around.


If you think laptop and anything over with a number larger than 15 for screen size, slap yourself. Those aren't laptops, those are microsized desktops with a built in UPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This might not be an option for you but have you considered buying a kick ass desktop PC and a decent laptop on top of that? I bet the price would be about the same as one of those monstrous notebooks.

You would have all the specs you can dream of at home, and at the same time insurance for your notebook wouldnt be that important.

As long as my laptop is able to render an accellerated frame every now and then Id be happy.

I remember throwing a lot of money into a notebook a couple of years ago, and I can hardly remember when I last used it.

I guess it depends how often you need to travel around with the notebook, and whether you have a car/MC or not. And also whether the desktop you already have is sufficient.

Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The best piece of advice you will get is: Don't buy Alienware.

I recently had an Alienware notebook graphics card overheat and die, it was just over a year old. It is very difficult to get spare parts for these things. Alienware don't make the notebooks taht they sell either, a Chinese company called Clevo does. The also use non-standard parts, like the graphics card is an MXM form factor but Clevo have re-arranged the connectors pin out, so you can't replace it with a standard laptop card. If something goes wrong it's bye bye €3500 or thereabouts, not fun.

I brought a powerful beast desktop and a reasonable laptop (Acer 5652WLMi) for about €2800 for the both, which was cheaper than buying one new Alienware.

Alienware also refuse to repair their products out of warranty, even when you wave money at their faces. They won't even converse with you on the phone if your product is out of warranty.

For a €3,500 product this was disgraceful behaviour on the part of the manufacturer, something you pay that kind of money for should last longer than a year.

So, again don't buy Alienware, save your money. Alienware are blaggards who will screw you over at the first chance they get.

Try Googling for "Alienware Horror Stories".




Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement