notebook.

Started by
31 comments, last by smitty1276 17 years, 8 months ago
well, i am tired of a desktop computer and want the best notebook that there is. i`ll be using it for everything and taking it everywhere. so it needs to have the best specifications. needs to be customizable if possible, not a big deal. setup needs to be good; buttons, keypad etc. everything needs to be to the best of quality. the only thing is it needs to have some sort of way that i can pay it monthly. i know this is kind of blain and doesnt expalin much, but i just need the best of the best notebook. so i am sorry if you guys are confused or mad or people keep posting these kind of posts just for the heck of it. but i am not, i am going to work for it and pay it monthly. i know a lot of people post this kind of topics and dont bother looking for the notebook themselves but i have. i cant find the best one. but i know a lot of you at GDnet are very good at finding this stuff. so if you guys have any questions or want to yell at me or tell me to find it myself; go ahead. maybe i deserve it. but for those of you who feel like helping me...thank you. THANKS AGAIN GDNET -Enjoi- P.S. if this thread doesnt belong in the for beginners sections, im sorry. maybe a mod could move it to the lounge for me. thanks.
-Enjoi"Pratice is proggesion, not perfection."
Advertisement
I guess most people don't buy more than one notebook per "performance era", so it is hard to compare.

You ought to find a comparative review of todays notebooks in a magazine or website somewhere.

And as always, the best notebook today is probably not the best notebook tomorrow.

FYI, I have a Zepto Znote 4015 and I'm very pleased.

And yeah, this is more of a Lounge thread.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Ever heard of Consumer Reports?

They're unbiased and do a lot of tests to check quality. I'd check there first if I were you, but your best bet would be to go to your local library. My high school library alone has five years worth of issues that are cataloged and most libraries have computer search terminals that could help. And if not there;s always the librarian.
Quote:Original post by enjoi5o50
well, i am tired of a desktop computer and want the best notebook that there is.

There isn't one.

Quote:
i`ll be using it for everything and taking it everywhere. so it needs to have the best specifications.

No, a computer you take everywhere needs to be portable.
A computer you use for everything needs to be able to do everything. They also need a big enough case to fit everything in.
Those goals clearly conflict. You'll have to compromise something. If you want the best computer there is, it has to be a desktop. Laptops have plenty of shortcomings, such as:
- Smaller screen
- Smaller keyboar
- Awful mouse
- Less space for hardware (try fitting a Creative X-Fi sound card along with a Quad-SLI graphics setup, a dualcore processor and 2+ harddrives into a notebook. It just can't be done.

Quote:
needs to be customizable if possible

Notebooks typically aren't. Not to the same extent as a desktop system at least.

Quote:
setup needs to be good;

Setup of what?

Quote:
buttons, keypad etc. everything needs to be to the best of quality.

Buy a separate keyboard. The kind *desktop* systems use. :)

So quite simply, you have to choose what you want, or more importantly, what you are willing to sacrifice.

Do you need a full-size keyboard? Do you need a big screen? What kind of resolution do you need? (If you plan to use it for everything, and that everything includes programming, you'll probably want a decent screen with a good resolution. That can be hard to get with a notebook)
How long battery life do you need? If you want top performance, don't expect it to last more than 45 minutes on the battery.
Moreover, if you want top performance, nothing beats a desktop system anyway.
Do you need the best graphics capabilities? Do you need a 64-bit processor?
How much harddrive space do you need?

Quite simply, you need to narrow down your search. There isn't a "best" notebook". There is a "fastest notebook", there is a "most portable notebook", there is a "most feature-rich notebook" and there is a "cheapest notebook" or a notebook with great screen and keyboard, but you can't get one that's best at everything.
I just bought an Asus W2JB. It's basically the top of the line as far as current-generation notebooks, without being stupidly excessive (*cough* Alienware *cough*). I'm sure there are retailers around who will lease machines for decent rates, but prepare to get shafted in the long term - you'll always save a fair bit of money by saving up cash and buying a system outright.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Do you need a full-size keyboard?

no. the size keyboards notebooks have are fine.

Quote:Do you need a big screen?

not HUGE. 17" is a good size. thats what size my desktop display is and it is suffiecent. i have seen notebooks with that size screen.

Quote:What kind of resolution do you need? (If you plan to use it for everything, and that everything includes programming, you'll probably want a decent screen with a good resolution. That can be hard to get with a notebook)

i have a dell deminsion 3000 with the 17" flat panel screen. the size and resolution is decent. but what would be a recommened resolution for "Everything", including programming?

Quote:How long battery life do you need? If you want top performance, don't expect it to last more than 45 minutes on the battery.

well most of the time i will be using the power adapter and was thinking of getting a AC power adapter for the car. so the only time id be needing the battery was when im away from an outlet or and AC adapter. so 45 mins-1 hour would probaly be sufficient.

Quote:Do you need the best graphics capabilities?

yes i do.

Quote:Do you need a 64-bit processor?

sorry, i am not that familiar with what a 64-bit processor is? i need a 2.0 ghz processor though.

Quote:How much harddrive space do you need?

about 180-200 GB. now i have seen notebooks with that much hard drive space and i know its a little overkill, but im paying for it so...

Quote:Quite simply, you need to narrow down your search. There isn't a "best" notebook". There is a "fastest notebook", there is a "most portable notebook", there is a "most feature-rich notebook" and there is a "cheapest notebook" or a notebook with great screen and keyboard, but you can't get one that's best at everything.

the most important out of what you mentioned is "fastest notebook" and "most feature-rich notebook". is it possible to combine those two? "most portable notebook" isnt REALLY a big deal and that was explained above.

EDIT: to the other people who replyed to my thread. thank you. i will check out the consumer reports and notebooks mention later. thanks.
EDIT2: also, sorry it took me so long to reply i have been busy in the last couple days.

THANK YOU

-Enjoi
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
I just bought an Asus W2JB. It's basically the top of the line as far as current-generation notebooks, without being stupidly excessive (*cough* Alienware *cough*). I'm sure there are retailers around who will lease machines for decent rates, but prepare to get shafted in the long term - you'll always save a fair bit of money by saving up cash and buying a system outright.

Nice to see someone using Asus; I've got a V6J and I'm very happy with it. It's got a 15.1" SXGA+ screen with a ZBD policy and the machine's very thin, look into it if your'e interested.

P.S.
Battery life isn't the greatest, but if it's something important then you can always buy an extra battery or two.

P.P.S.
Also, the palm-rest is aluminium so that's pretty nice, also keeps my hands warm at winter time!

[Edited by - raz0r on July 9, 2006 5:31:21 PM]

not HUGE. 17" is a good size. thats what size my desktop display is and it is suffiecent. i have seen notebooks with that size screen.

For a notebook, that is huge. [grin]

Quote:
Quote:What kind of resolution do you need?

i have a dell deminsion 3000 with the 17" flat panel screen. the size and resolution is decent. but what would be a recommened resolution for "Everything", including programming?

You tell me. What resolution do you use? I personally run everything at 1600x1200, but your mileage may vary. I know people who never go above 1024x768, and some who prefer 2000-whatever x 1500'ish.

What matters is what *you* want.

Quote:

about 180-200 GB. now i have seen notebooks with that much hard drive space and i know its a little overkill, but im paying for it so...

I don't think I've seen a notebook with more than 120GB, so that might be hard to fix.

So overall:
First, I'd ask why you want a notebook. They're not "cool", and yours won't be much easier to carry than a desktop system. Meanwhile, it will have a smaller keyboard and a much lousier mouse, and much lower harddrive capacity. And it's practically impossible to upgrade it later on.

But hey, if you want to jump on the "notebooks are cooler and beats desktop systems at everything" wagon, who am I to stop you?
Check out AlienWare or VoodooPC
You won't get more powerful beasts than those (at least in the notebook arena).
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender

For a notebook, that is huge. [grin]

Quote:
Quote:What kind of resolution do you need?

You tell me. What resolution do you use? I personally run everything at 1600x1200, but your mileage may vary. I know people who never go above 1024x768, and some who prefer 2000-whatever x 1500'ish.

What matters is what *you* want.

Quote:

I don't think I've seen a notebook with more than 120GB, so that might be hard to fix.

So overall:
First, I'd ask why you want a notebook. They're not "cool", and yours won't be much easier to carry than a desktop system. Meanwhile, it will have a smaller keyboard and a much lousier mouse, and much lower harddrive capacity. And it's practically impossible to upgrade it later on.

But hey, if you want to jump on the "notebooks are cooler and beats desktop systems at everything" wagon, who am I to stop you?
Check out AlienWare or VoodooPC
You won't get more powerful beasts than those (at least in the notebook arena).

1. i am running at 1024x768 im pretty sure. which it is decent but if possible on a noteboook, would like it to be better.

2. if you customize a notebook whcih a lot that ive looked at are. you can get some up to 200GB hard drive.

3. i am not jumping on the "notebooks are cool" wagon. i want a notebook because i am tired of sitting at my desk and not being able to move around the house or bring my computer on trips with me because sadly to to say i am obessesed with the computer. so i would like to able to be somewhat versatile and mobile with my computer. and i am planning on geting a notebook carrying case backpack which will make a little easier to carry around my notebook. most of the notebooks i have used have had a decent keyboard and i also plan on getting a wireless mouse to use when im doing something that requires great speed or accuracy. and from what i`ve read on pcworld it is not impossible to upgrade a notebook. i read a tutorial on pcworld that told you all the steps and ways to upgrade pretty much every part of you notebook, including the screen in keyboard.

4. i will also check at you recommedations on notebooks. thanks.

5. also, if anyone has any recommedations on a type of PC besides a notebook or desktop that fits my reason for wanting a notebook i am open for that, too.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES

-Enjoi

That Asus W2JB looks decent. ProStar looks to have some very beefy offerings.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement