• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VWarrior

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus still good today?

This topic is 4391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can pick up this book for very cheap. But I need recommendations/advice. I'm still trying to find a good book to help me get my foot in the door with game programming. I don't really need a book that goes into detailed tutorials on C/C++, but I want a book that will help me to start applying C++ to games. I read good feedback on Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, but most came from those who got the book years ago. From looking up the books topics, it seems to be right up my alley in terms of content. Example of Game Loops, Win32 exe games rater than just console games, fundamentals of 2D games programming and DirectX*, vector rasterization and 2D Transformation, and some fundamental techniques such as clipping algorithms, basic A.I., memory mananagement, and multithreading. The reason for the asterisk besides DirectX is because it uses DirectX 6.1 and I know there is a big chance that the code is incompatible with the DirectX 9 SDK. Personally, I question whether or not its even worth the time and effort to be learning an outdated version of DirectX, let alone try to find a place where I can still download the DX6.1 SDK. But my big question regarding the book is this, besides the book being dated, and possibly the coding "uncompiliable" with DX 9.0 and recent compilers, is it still worth it for the fundamentals/skills the book teaches? And other the other hand, are there quality books that use recent APIs that teach important game programming fundamentals like this one did? And I've been recommended in the past to not start off with DX or even OpenGL and start learning something simpler like SDL or Allegro. Its that the way to go for a beginner? And is the second edition of Windows Game Programming Gurus(covers 3D games) more up-to-date and worth it? Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru teaches 2D techniques, which may consider "old-school" but it is very much relevant to any 2D programming.

Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus teaches 3D software rasterization. As in your 3D games, won't use D3D or OGL to make the triangles and polygons. It will be strictly using software (similar to the original Quake).

So there's much to learn if you're not hung up with the "latest and the greatest".

If you're just trying to start game programming and you already know C/C++ (LaMothe uses more C than C++ but tries to use more C++ in the Second Edition) then this book should be just fine.

Quote:

The reason for the asterisk besides DirectX is because it uses DirectX 6.1 and I know there is a big chance that the code is incompatible with the DirectX 9 SDK. Personally, I question whether or not its even worth the time and effort to be learning an outdated version of DirectX, let alone try to find a place where I can still download the DX6.1 SDK.
If you do decide to get it get the Second Edition not the first. It covers a few more topics and it uses DirectX 8.1 (DirectDraw7) and it comes with a CD so you don't have to worry about downloading the SDK. I'm using MSVC++ 2005 (8) and most of the code works fine. You shouldn't have to do much major code tweaking. The book (Second Edition) does come with VC++ 6 so you can compile the code with that but most modern compilers should work just as well.

I happen to own a copy of Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, and I can tell you for a fact that its code is incompatible with modern compilers and versions of DirectX. It's not so far off that you couldn't tweak the code to get it working, but it would be a pain to do so. DirectX 6.1 is quite out of date, and while this is not by itself such a big problem (each version of the DirectX runtime exposes interfaces for all previous DX versions for compatibility with older games), you really ought to find a book that teaches at least DirectX 8, because the graphics components of DirectX were refactored with DirectX 8 to be much easier to work with for both 2D and 3D applications. You'll also find it much easier to switch between 2D and 3D graphics under DX 8 and newer because they use the same API. As to the second edition of Tricks -- actually it doesn't cover 3D games; it appears to be just an update of the original for DirectDraw 7, which is still the old style graphics API. I believe what you are actually thinking of is Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization, which does cover 3D programming and is by the same author. However, that would be a bad choice as an introductory book, since it is about writing a software 3D renderer, rather than about using the hardware accelerated renderer exposed through Direct3D and OpenGL. Although they're interesting, nobody uses software renderers for 3D on the PC anymore, for a variety of good reasons. Unless you plan to develop for a platform that lacks 3D hardware acceleration (think cellphones or graphing calculators), you'll be much better off learning to harness the power of modern graphics cards through Direct3D or OpenGL. I haven't tried to buy an up to date book on the subject recently, so I can't offer any specific recommendations, but there were plenty to chose from a couple of years ago when I bought my last one, so it shouldn't be too hard. Just stay away from the Tricks books.

Still good? [imo] this was never good. Even at release it covers things that you as a programmer won't have to and shouldn't have to cover. LaMothe's code style is questionable at best. As a beginner you should be focusing on learning programming; proper program design, getting things done, learning to debug effectively, finding and integrating libraries to do stuff for you...

This book will teach you very little except poor coding practices you'll have to ignore or unlearn later.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Still good? [imo] this was never good. Even at release it covers things that you as a programmer won't have to and shouldn't have to cover. LaMothe's code style is questionable at best. As a beginner you should be focusing on learning programming; proper program design, getting things done, learning to debug effectively, finding and integrating libraries to do stuff for you...

This book will teach you very little except poor coding practices you'll have to ignore or unlearn later.

Well I actually already have experience programming in C++, i'm currently a Computer Science major. I just want to learn how to apply the language to games, thats why I really don't need a book that dedicates a good fraction of itself to C++ tutorials, I already have plenty of references to the language itself, but it doesn't hurt if its still clearly focused on the application. I'm not a beginner to the language, just a beginner to game applications of the language.

Judging by reviews I read and you guys' comments, here, I guess I'll pass on the "Tricks". Many people have said his programming techniques are questionable, constantly doing things like using loads of global variable for optimization, etc. I guess i'll look for something more modern and something that uses at least DirectX 8, ideally 9, or even OpenGL. Another book I had in mind was Game Programming All In One by Bruno Miguel Teixeira de Sousa.

Ideally, I would like to be introduced to Windows Programming in 2D and learn many fundamentals in that world before adding entering 3D. If anyone else has any book recommendations, please share. And thanks to all those who have responded so far.

Well there was a Hands-On Interactive Tutorial here on making Tetris with DDraw 7.0. It used far better coding structure than Tricks, explained the techniques, and is applicable to current 2D game programming. The staff took it offline though [sad] But the link may still be alive. I'll search and see...

edit: Found it! and Accompanying Code.

edit2: agree with poster below.

[Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on July 4, 2006 8:40:59 PM]

Quote:
Original post by mumpo
I happen to own a copy of Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, and I can tell you for a fact that its code is incompatible with modern compilers and versions of DirectX. It's not so far off that you couldn't tweak the code to get it working, but it would be a pain to do so. ... Just stay away from the Tricks books.

It isn't a "pain" to tweak the code; with a single line, you can just tell your DX to use the old interfaces. Lamothe's books aren't about using the absolute latest and greatest 3D-accelerated technology, but he covers the fundamentals of computer graphics and game programming. He uses an old DX interface called DirectDraw which has been discontinued by Microsoft, but it is a great way to learn 2D graphics since you get direct access to the screen. In fact, DDraw is very similar to virtually all 2D graphics libraries out there.

So, you should look at your motivation for learning game programming. If you want to only learn the latest and greatest technologies, don't go with the Tricks series. If you want to learn how computer graphics and game programming works at a rather low level, the Tricks series is probably a good choice (if you don't mind sometimes verbose explanations). If your goal is just to quickly learn how to make games, the Tricks series probably isn't the way to go.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Well there was a Hands-On Interactive Tutorial here on making Tetris with DDraw 7.0. It used far better coding structure than Tricks, explained the techniques, and is applicable to current 2D game programming. The staff took it offline though [sad] But the link may still be alive. I'll search and see...

edit: Found it!

Ahh, those are some useful topics/links I can go through, thank!

Quote:
Original post by VWarrior
Ideally, I would like to be introduced to Windows Programming in 2D and learn many fundamentals in that world before adding entering 3D. If anyone else has any book recommendations, please share. And thanks to all those who have responded so far.

The thing is, there aren't any modern books out there that only teach 2D. The audiences want 3D stuff, so the book companies seem to really push for 3D. In my opinion, most of the newer books on "3D and DX" actually cover surprisingly little since they're ALSO aimed at complete beginners to game programming (or even to programming, as evidenced by the All-In-One book you mentioned -- it seems to cover a lot of topics, greatly sacrificing detail). If you look for more advanced books on "3D and DX", you have to look at collections of papers or textbooks (i.e. the Gems series).

That being said, it's a lot easier to do 2D graphics nowadays since you don't have to worry about things like loading, drawing, rotating, "transparencying" bitmaps since all of this is done with very simple D3DX calls. So, I bet you could learn these calls on your own just through Internet tutorials. Like I said, if you want to know how 2D graphics really work at a very low level, LaMothe's Tricks book would be a good choice. Otherwise, you don't really have to know HOW 2D graphics work anymore to use them. It's a shame, but at the same time it really enables developers to write games more quickly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!