Next programming language

Started by
11 comments, last by Zekeva 17 years, 9 months ago
I already know: - C and CPP - BASIC - x86 Assembly - a little Ada For the purpose of game developing and other forms of programming, what languages should I consider to learn next? I have heard that 80% of all programming code is COBOL, but I don't know if it would be worth learning. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
If you're mainly interested in games development COBOL is entirely useless. For games you might want to take a look at C#, lua or Python.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Lots of people here are starting to use C# for their tools.

Cheers
CHris
CheersChris
It certainly wouldn't hurt to have some knowledge of COBOL since a lot of businesses still have lots of COBOL code that needs maintainance or perhaps even porting to a more modern languages. So if your interested in that type of work then sure. As a previous poster mentioned, .Net languages are getting quite a bit of use or perhaps even Java.
Patrick
Hello world in COBOL:

000100 IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.000200 PROGRAM-ID.     HELLOWORLD.000300000400*000500 ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.000600 CONFIGURATION SECTION.000700 SOURCE-COMPUTER. RM-COBOL.000800 OBJECT-COMPUTER. RM-COBOL.000900001000 DATA DIVISION.001100 FILE SECTION.001200100000 PROCEDURE DIVISION.100100100200 MAIN-LOGIC SECTION.100300 BEGIN.100400     DISPLAY " " LINE 1 POSITION 1 ERASE EOS.100500     DISPLAY "Hello world!" LINE 15 POSITION 10.100600     STOP RUN.100700 MAIN-LOGIC-EXIT.100800     EXIT.

It makes me want to cry.
---------------------------------Upon thine ass shall I bust but a single cap.
if you want to get a job programming games, forget COBOL.
if you want to get a job programming other stuff, forget COBOL.

There are plenty of guys out there with decades of COBOL experience that can't get work. Companies aren't gonna hire a junior programmer when they can get a senior engineer for the same price.

Python is a good language to know (google uses it)
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by Cornflake420
I have heard that 80% of all programming code is COBOL, but I don't know if it would be worth learning.

Likely because COBOL is so long-winded. However, I'd recommend you become familiar with a language which is up-and-coming, such as Python or Ruby - both are very good for cutting through boilerplate coding, and have growing followings and public codebases. However, pay more attention than the others than me if you're interested in 100% game programming; my knowledge of the field is more limited than theirs. Also, lua is not only a great scripting language, but also fairly powerful as a stand-alone language, or GUI language (FLTK-lua, etc.), so my vote goes for it as well.
I would suggest Java because you can use it also for getting a job, it's widely used.
My recommendations, in order of importance:

1. A Lisp dialect or an ML dialect such as OCaml
2. Ruby
3. C#
4. Java

Learning a functional language will change the way you think about programming, introduce you to a lot of extremely important techniques and tools, and make you a better coder in general. The sooner you pick up and become fluent in a functional language, the better your programming will be.

I place Ruby second because you'll be able to really appreciate it after coming from functional languages - it has many functional-style features and capabilities, but can still be treated like an imperative language. It's also far more elegant than Python in many ways.

Third, C# is becoming very large in tools development, GUI apps, and even web development (in certain sectors). C# will be familiar to you from C/C++, and some of the more interesting features (especially those in the upcoming C# 3.0) will be of great benefit to you after some solid background in functional programming. It's also going to be increasingly important to be competent with the .Net platform in the coming years, and C# is as good a way as any to get used to it.

Finally, once you're comfortable with C#, making the leap to Java will be a breeze - Java is very deeply entrenched in web and business programming, and you'll need to know if eventually if you're interested in working in those sectors.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

what exactly is all that .Net stuff?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement