• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kRogue

GLSL flakiness

This topic is 4344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok, I was hoping to do an informal poll: how many poeple out there have found GLSL support to be kind of flaky and inconsistent? Namely, changes to GLSL code that should NOT make any difference suddenly make the shader work or fail (and in both cases the Program, Vertex and Fgragment logs are empty, no errors and no warnings)? I am talking really stupid things like manually unrolling a loop by hand makes it work (and yes the counter in the unrolled loop is an int and the end condition is jsut a number or #define macro number) or including source to a function that compiles fine in GLSL but is not used makes the shader fail (again with no warnings or erros) [i.e. one may have 2 diffferent functions to do lighting, say lightSpec and lightNoSpec, including the soruce to both makes the shader fial, but having only one is ok] .... my hardware is a a GeForce 6600GT, and I have the same issues with a GeForceFX (I know they use the same driver, but the FX is kind of subpar for doing GLSL)... anyone have similar porblems/issues by GLSL implementation on their hardware?

Advertisement
Yes, loop support sucks in GLSL on the 6x00.

Yes, wierd behaviour happens when it decides that it doesn't like the way you format your code. My favourite is when the shader works for half of the screen, but not the other.

The only way I've come across solutions is to move the looping statements into C++ and rely on it to do the dynamic logic.

A rip-off, seeing how NVIDIA has advertised otherwise.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!