Making a Telnet-based game?

Started by
17 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 9 months ago
Sorry all for late response - I didn't have Internet yesterday because a thunderstorm broke one of the phone wires in the street, and Thunderbird just gave me the GD.NET replies in a batch... >:@

Anyways... Yeah, I'll try to use Telnet as better as possible. And I thought about it and I got a better idea than a MUD. Something nobody has ever seen before on Telnet. Just wait and see... markr: I would be doing something more modern if I didn't suck so much at drawing... *Cries* Thanks all!

BTW: Nice Coder, I couldn't get on at 5PM because of the wire thing. Sorry 'bout that!
Advertisement
ok.

i've got a little demo thing up and running now. (its nethack-ish....)

Its at 58.168.127.37:8080 (using telnet)

I've gotten a few complaints that it was really laggy.

Would anybody like to play and check it out? (you just move around using the wasd keys. Nothing major).
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Theres a reson muds are so popular. It doesn't have the insane sort of complexity that other games have.

Riiight. :) I assume you've never dealt with a system as complex as PENNMUSH, or the internal workings of the LPMUD parser, or written a command parser capable of understanding stuff like "get bob's hat from the dresser and wear it".

Just because muds look simple on the outside, doesn't mean they are simple underneath. If you want to do some of the really crazy stuff that's out there on some muds, you're going to need more than what people usually produce the first time.
hmmm. i've never specifically dealth with command parsers. I have a couple of commandbots for irc. "ie. lock channell #chan, kickban Random*guy then join channell #random." one of my more complex bots can understand "If somebody says "Test" then kickban them".

But thats about as far as i've gotten. (and it is rather hacked up, but meh. first time doing something as complex as that).

Is the lpmud parser open source? it looks like i've got some reading to do.

i've found This and This, the parser seems very interesting. Thanks for pointing me in that direction [lol].
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by Deyja
Riiight. :) I assume you've never dealt with a system as complex as PENNMUSH, or the internal workings of the LPMUD parser, or written a command parser capable of understanding stuff like "get bob's hat from the dresser and wear it".

To be honest, that last bit is actually quite easy. Games written for 32K computers in the early 80s were doing that, before the lore got forgotten and replaced with trivial verb-noun parsing.

Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's not complicated.
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
i've found This and This, the parser seems very interesting. Thanks for pointing me in that direction [lol].

LDMud started as a project to clean up and modernize Amylaar's LPMud gamedriver.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder

LDMud started as a project to clean up and modernize Amylaar's LPMud gamedriver.

So the actual link part didn't make it, hehe, here: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/proj/ldmud.html
Quote:Original post by Deyja
Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's not complicated.

True, but in this case, it's not complicated. :) A lot of the parser's complexity only arises when the world model is not very good, as simple NLP operating on well-defined nouns with a predefined list of verbs is not all that difficult to do well. Sadly most MUDs don't have a great object system in the first place.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement