• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Moving in a 3D scene

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello i've got the following prob: i loaded a scene from a .x file an displayed it. now i am trying to move but with the matrices i've set i do not get the correct results. The prob is that when i want tu turn around the cam always rotates around the origin. i think it is because of the vector i use as "look at point" for D3DXMatrixLookAtLH. I really do not know what point i have to use for this. So can anybody tell me how i can get this point?

Advertisement
If the rotation is messed up it could be because of a phenomenon called Gimbal look maybe you heard of (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal_lock). You could help it whit using Quaternions instead of vectors when rotating, there is a toolbox full of Quaternion operation in D3DX library. Also maybe you don't update your eye point?

the eye point i do update but as i said i do not know what to do with the "look at point"

i think i need a point as "look at point" which is in front of the eyepoint so i only need a way to get such a point...?

Quote:
Original post by madRenEGadE
the eye point i do update but as i said i do not know what to do with the "look at point"

i think i need a point as "look at point" which is in front of the eyepoint so i only need a way to get such a point...?

OK, so you just moving your eye point around. Use a unit vector, add this to the eye point and use this for look at point. Transform the unit vector everytime you transform the eyepoint. Hopefully it work

so i only have to do something like this: eyepoint + unitvector?

if so how can i get the unit vector because i am not very good at math but i think
i have to take the angle that i use for rotation am i right?

Quote:
Original post by madRenEGadE
so i only have to do something like this: eyepoint + unitvector?

if so how can i get the unit vector because i am not very good at math but i think
i have to take the angle that i use for rotation am i right?

D3DXVECTOR4 eyepoint = D3DXVECTOR4(5.0f,5.0f,5.0f,0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR4 lookatpoint = D3DXVECTOR4(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR4 lookatvector;
D3DXVec4Normalize(&lookatvector,&(lookatpoint-eyepoint));

Then update the lookatvector everytime you move, use 4-components vector so the vector is'nt affected whit translations

Quote:

D3DXVECTOR4 eyepoint = D3DXVECTOR4(5.0f,5.0f,5.0f,0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR4 lookatpoint = D3DXVECTOR4(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR4 lookatvector;
D3DXVec4Normalize(&lookatvector,&(lookatpoint-eyepoint));

We want to calulate a lookatpoint but that code just choses 0|0|0.
You'd be doing sth like: a=a-b+b if you use that code for th view directionvector/unit vector.
if you want a usual first person camera:here is a nice tutorial that explains how to implement one.

regards,
m4gnus

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement