• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Struggling with iterators

This topic is 4245 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working through the section on iterators in the "C++ Primer" and have encountered the following problem.
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

using std::cin;
using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::vector;

int main()
{
	int entry;
	vector<int> numbers;
	while (cin >> entry);
		numbers.push_back(entry);
	for (vector<int>::iterator index = numbers.begin(); index != numbers.end(); ++index)
		cout << *index << endl;
	return 0;
}

This extremely simply program, when compiled, doesn't do what I want it to. When I input the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 then a ^D to signal the end of input the program returns "5" instead of printing each element in the vector. I can get the program to work fine using subscript operators instead of iterators. What am I doing wrong here?

Advertisement
Removing the ; afther the while-statement should do the trick.

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

using std::cin;
using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::vector;

int main()
{
int entry;
vector<int> numbers;
while (cin >> entry) // ; removed here
numbers.push_back(entry);
for (vector<int>::iterator index = numbers.begin(); index != numbers.end(); ++index)
cout << *index << endl;
return 0;
}

This is why I always brace my braceable (if/while/for/do-while) statements, and put the opening brace on the same line. I stick with either of:

while (foo) { bar; } // note braces used anyway

or

while (foo) {
bar;
baz;
quux;
}

That's just a personal preference, of course; there are certainly reasons to recommend any other popular way of doing it. But I've found this one less error-prone, while also conserving vertical space (that's not a where-did-I-put-that-declaration thing for me, but an aesthetic one) :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement