• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DangerDave

Anyone know their way around CVS?

This topic is 4341 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure this is in the right forum but.. I've just atarted using (and falling in love with) CVS for my own personal projects, but there are a couple of things I need to know how to do that the basic tutorials dont cover and wading through the reference material is taking aages. So I figure I can cheat and ask you peeps.. (1) Most immediate question: I'm trying to commit a copy of my code that has not been checked out, that is, it's been edited from a copy of checked out code so no CVS subdirectory or anything. This means 'commit' fails. Is there any way around this so I can commit this non-CVS, but later edit, version? (2) Similarly, I have an old copy of my code that is the first version that worked, but the way it did it was undesirable so I editted large chunks and the new version (also the CVS version) doesnt work at all (yet)... I would like to create a branch with my old, working code so I can fall back to it if necessary. But again its not from the CVS (pre-CVS code), which is a major complication...? (3) How do I checkout just a single file from an older version/branch? I'm sure I'll have a few more questions shortly, but these are the most apparent to me right now. Any help much appreciated, (PS: If this should be in a different forum, wouldnt mind knowing which one..?)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by DangerDave
(1) Most immediate question: I'm trying to commit a copy of my code that has not been checked out, that is, it's been edited from a copy of checked out code so no CVS subdirectory or anything. This means 'commit' fails. Is there any way around this so I can commit this non-CVS, but later edit, version?

Surely a copy of a working copy will have all of the CVS directories etc intact?

Quote:
Original post by bakery2k1
Quote:
Original post by DangerDave
(1) Most immediate question: I'm trying to commit a copy of my code that has not been checked out, that is, it's been edited from a copy of checked out code so no CVS subdirectory or anything. This means 'commit' fails. Is there any way around this so I can commit this non-CVS, but later edit, version?

Surely a copy of a working copy will have all of the CVS directories etc intact?

Nope: "Up-to-date check failed"... Plus it would be useful to know if theres a command anyway. I'm sure I could mess around copying directories between versions to trick cvs into letting me commit, but I dont know enough about cvs to know if this will do damage..

My two cents: CVS is cool, but Subversion is way better. The Atomic commits alone are worth the change (if one part of a commit fails, the entire thing fails, so you're not left with a half-working checkin) plus its infinitely easier to set up and, combined with tortoise-SVN, is probably THE easiest source control system around. My workplace is migrating all new and current projects to subversion and I'm going to be setting it up on my home server soon for my personal projects.

Their entire mission statement is basically "To be a better CVS" so its worth checking out if you have not done so and like CVS.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!