• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SDL_TTF or bitmapped font?

This topic is 4248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just curious... speed-wise, is SDL_TTF better to use than a bitmapped font when there could possibly be a lot of text on the screen? I want to use my own fonts but I'm worried that it might be a source of slowdown.

Advertisement
It would depend on how you use them. Neither is intrinsically faster than the other. Consider: you can use SDL_ttf to generate a surface that has each glyph in the font at regular intervals, which you can then use the same way as a bitmapped font.

Quote:
Original post by derefed
I'm just curious... speed-wise, is SDL_TTF better to use than a bitmapped font when there could possibly be a lot of text on the screen? I want to use my own fonts but I'm worried that it might be a source of slowdown.

If you will have text that changes a lot, then bitmapped fonts are faster. If you have a lot of static text then definately use SDL_TTF.

Or use both - TTF to render a bitmap font and then use that as your bitmapped font.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement