• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
derefed

SDL_TTF or bitmapped font?

This topic is 4488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just curious... speed-wise, is SDL_TTF better to use than a bitmapped font when there could possibly be a lot of text on the screen? I want to use my own fonts but I'm worried that it might be a source of slowdown.

Advertisement
It would depend on how you use them. Neither is intrinsically faster than the other. Consider: you can use SDL_ttf to generate a surface that has each glyph in the font at regular intervals, which you can then use the same way as a bitmapped font.

Quote:
Original post by derefed
I'm just curious... speed-wise, is SDL_TTF better to use than a bitmapped font when there could possibly be a lot of text on the screen? I want to use my own fonts but I'm worried that it might be a source of slowdown.

If you will have text that changes a lot, then bitmapped fonts are faster. If you have a lot of static text then definately use SDL_TTF.

Or use both - TTF to render a bitmap font and then use that as your bitmapped font.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!