• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antony52

User interface design, dev.

This topic is 4519 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have some questions for which I would be grateful for an answer or general opinion: 1) Which platform is better for user interface design and general development of windowed applications Java or Visual C#. 2) Which is considered to be easier and faster to develop with? 3) Which is more widely used currently in the job market? Any opinion matters.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

c# better client-side applications

How's that?

Swing is actually one of the most customizable UI toolkits there is - and it's also not too hard to customize it. All Java's built-in Look and Feels are utter, utter garbage, though, so you are forced to customize the Look and Feel if you want a professional looks for your application. It's possible to make Swing very pretty and fast if you know what you're doing.

http://www.mono-project.com/Gui_Toolkits

As I see it, there is no single, consistent GUI Toolkit for .NET that works on all platforms. Swing works out-of-the-box on Windows, MacOSX and Linux + it looks the same on all platforms (a very big plus). Also, with Java 6 coming soon, the performance is pretty much on par with native UI's.

C# is definitely better to develop Windows applications though, especially as it provides an easy access to various Windows services, bomb-proof looks out-of-the-box. And especially when Vista will be widespread, as it contains the .NET runtime.

If you're picking Java & Swing, make sure you also check out JDIC (Java Desktop Integration Components).

Quote:

2) Which is considered to be easier and faster to develop with?

Easier - Java. Development speed ain't so easy to answer to.

Quote:

3) Which is more widely used currently in the job market?

Java

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!