• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrSparkle

What is FVFData??

This topic is 4425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

...and why is it used to store the second texture coordinates? I found an article on MSDN that says that it is "A flexible vertex format (FVF) code" that contains "The vertex data without the position data" (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/reference/fileformat/templates/FVFData.asp) I just can't find anything about why and how to use it for texture coordinates, so how could I pass more than one texture coordinate to my graphics engine? Thanks, Christian

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by MrSparkle
...and why is it used to store the second texture coordinates?

I found an article on MSDN that says that it is "A flexible vertex format (FVF) code" that contains "The vertex data without the position data"
(see http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/directx9_c/directx/graphics/reference/fileformat/templates/FVFData.asp)

I just can't find anything about why and how to use it for texture coordinates, so how could I pass more than one texture coordinate to my graphics engine?

Thanks,
Christian

One easy way to send an extra texture coordinate to the gpu is just to attach an extra uv coordinate in your modeling tool and export it as an x-file, then after you load the x-file into the mesh everything goes automatic. The FVF for an extra coordinate is D3DFVF_TEX1

[Edited by - Xmon on July 5, 2006 5:33:42 PM]

Alright, this makes sense... :)
But how many different texture coordinates can I provide with one DirectX mesh? Is it possible to store more then two using the FVFDate structure?

Quote:
Alright, this makes sense... :)
But how many different texture coordinates can I provide with one DirectX mesh? Is it possible to store more then two using the FVFDate structure?

I have never had any reason to use the FVFDate structure, it seams to be some outdated stuff, my advise it to forget it:) You can look in the Caps Viewer which follows DirectX SDK, how many coordinates you graphic card support.

Quote:
Original post by Xmon
I have never had any reason to use the FVFDate structure, it seams to be some outdated stuff, my advise it to forget it:) You can look in the Caps Viewer which follows DirectX SDK, how many coordinates you graphic card support.

Forget it...? :o
I'm happy because I found a way to store additional texture coordinates - and now forget it? Do you know another way to save the map channels to a DirectX model without using the FVFData?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Use a Vertex Declaration Instead.

Quote:
I also thought about that. Is there a possibility to use the vertex declarations with 3dsMax?

No. It would depend on the exporter you use to have the 3dsMax data exported to the .x file format. The exporter would need to be smart enough to either just use a declaration all the time or only when FVF wouldn't work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!