• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

JAVA or .NET?

This topic is 4338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

JAVA or .NET? I’m just about to start 6 months of intense programming training and I have a choice of either choosing the JAVA stream or the .NET stream. What do you think I should head for and why? Here are the stream outlines: JAVA stream: -Unix -Oracle SQL+ - JAVA (basic) - JAVA (advanced) - JAVA certification - HTML/javascript -J2EE Intro -Servlets/JSP -EJB .NET stream: -Unix -SQL+ -.NET basic operational coding -Desktop applications -Web applications -XML web services Which stream do you think is best to choose? The java stream is the most popular, but I want to make my choice based on expert opinion and not popularity Thanks

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Do you trust your future on a bunch of anonymous people on the internet?

MODERATOR: This smells astroturfing.

Find a number of people who have done these courses. Ask them what they thought of each, because at the end of the day how much you enjoy the course and how much you learn is probably going to depend a lot on the lecturer and their preperation (ie, their actual knowlege of the subject at hand). Just don't take everything they say as fact. Generally lecturers are biased quite heavily to what they teach.

Although I am a full time .net developer, I've had my years of java to know it well enough. It's a good language, no doubt - and it has a very strong acedemic base, however I feel it's suffered quite a lot from feature creep. .Net is becomming more important, moving forward it will be the primary development framework for windows, which is not to be dismissed lightly. It's future is also going to see some very cool new things too with the likes of WinFX, LINQ, etc.

Quote:

-EJB

*shudder*

Original post by RipTorn
Find a number of people who have done these courses. Ask them what they thought of each, because at the end of the day how much you enjoy the course and how much you learn is probably going to depend a lot on the lecturer and their preperation (ie, their actual knowlege of the subject at hand). Just don't take everything they say as fact. Generally lecturers are biased quite heavily to what they teach.

Although I am a full time .net developer, I've had my years of java to know it well enough. It's a good language, no doubt - and it has a very strong acedemic base, however I feel it's suffered quite a lot from feature creep. .Net is becomming more important, moving forward it will be the primary development framework for windows, which is not to be dismissed lightly. It's future is also going to see some very cool new things too with the likes of WinFX, LINQ, etc.

Thanks RipTorn for your reply, this is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for, and hope more people can shed some light on this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!