Need EXPORT_SYMBOL Tutorial

Started by
3 comments, last by Bregma 17 years, 9 months ago
I failed to experiment EXPORT_SYMBOL. Can someone give me a simple example and makefile? Any links will also be fine.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Robinhood
I failed to experiment EXPORT_SYMBOL.
Can someone give me a simple example and makefile?
Any links will also be fine.

I'm not familiar with any EXPORT_SYMBOL. Do you possibly mean using a linkmap to mark specific symbols as global so that non-global symbols can be stripped from an ELF binary (like the way COFF symbols can be restricted using DLL_EXPORT)?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I am practicing some code about Keyboard Driver(not PS2),
and I want to use interrupt to handle key event.But the event handling
routine is in another project,so I need to link event handling routine with the keyboard driver.
Quote:Original post by Robinhood
I am practicing some code about Keyboard Driver(not PS2),

Ah, that EXPORT_SYMBOL. I just assumed you were doing game development, not Linux kernel programing.

If you're trying to grab an existing kernel symbol from within your driver module, you can just use symbol_get(). If you're trying to make a symbol from your module available to the kernel (or other modules), use the EXPORT_SYMBOL macro.

I would suggest, however, that you ask such questions in a Linux kernel programming forum, since they're more likely to be up on Linux kernel internals than yer typical game developer (which is more userland-oriented).

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement