A plea for help...

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 17 years, 9 months ago
Well, I have reached a block in directX. The documentation and books don't allow you to ask questions, and I don't want to super-annoy anyone in the fourms by continually posting basic questions... Does anyone know (or be willing to make) a "corrospondance course" through email? I just need to ask contextual questions about creating a graphics engine (basically a collection of help classes that make dealing with directX a pain). The main problems are: a) books cannot answer questions and don't understand context b) I want to create a enigne that isn't a peice of crap c) I am trying to do an odd kind of event based graphics programming, and I need a intermediate-expert helper(s) that know everything (well, know enough to build a kick-ass graphics core) d) the person for c has to have some time to answer possibly dumb/simple questions in email now and then, (bascially you need some free time to deal with a n00b) Yeah, pretty demanding I know. If it is too much, just don;t reply. Oh, I am writing this at 12:04 in the morning! So just hand on, I might have better response in the day... ha. (I am kinda going to bed now, so I wont be answering this for a while... feel free to talk though.)
___________________________________________________Optimists see the glass as Half FullPessimists See the glass as Half EmptyEngineers See the glass as Twice as big as it needs to be
Advertisement
The forums are here specifically to answer questions - nobody's going to get annoyed [smile]

Actually, I'd suggest that the forums are far superior to email, for a few reasons:
  • There are inherently more people who can come by and help with questions

• There's a nice history available for anyone to read and learn from

• A lot of people will help out in the forums happily, but won't do personal emails for a variety of reasons

I say, go ahead and post your questions here - everyone wins. If you're concerned about taking up too much space, you can simply keep a running thread of all your questions. In fact, that might be a good idea anyways, because then it provides historical context for people who jump in part way through a discussion.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Just a side note:
Quote:...questions about creating a graphics engine ... dealing with directX ... event based graphics programming

Those are fairly advanced topics, and they probably belong in the DirectX forum.

Remember that learning is best done a small step at a time.

Competently using DirectX requires a solid knowledge of a lot of topics. It requires a lot of math, understanding how to manipulate class hierarchies, and comfort with a lot of different data structures. Before using DirectX, you need to be comfortable with traditional windows programming, simple windowing tools like ATL/MFC or WinForms, and the basics of COM. Before you can use any of those well, you should be comfortable with classes and the basics of programming.

Just don't take too big of a step. If you don't know those things, learn them first rather than jumping in to a project that you cannot hope to complete.

Loading, interactively manipulating, transforming, and rendering a complex dynamic model chain using an event bus is cool, but you really shouldn't attempt that sort of thing until you've been programming for a few years. Those questions are usually left unanswered or are flame bait. Simply put, don't ask the question if you won't be able to understand the answer.

Keeping that in mind, the board and the related IRC channel are great places to ask questions when the explanation in your book just isn't enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement