• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shubro

Maps

This topic is 4426 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Hi,
Do you mean designing a fantasy world map ? If so read on:

I have not found yet on the net such tutorials. Still some fantasy authors in some articles reveal about the way they design their own world. From what I have read about there are three methods that were used:

- use or get inspired by real maps: Tolkien was inspired by old England counties map. Others reuse part of our world map either because the plot they use is inspired by a real historical event (e.g. mythology based plots often come to mind) or because the plot was inspired by the map (Da Vinci Code for the part in Paris for example).

- invent their own map after toying with it: it was the case of Robert Lewis Stevenson (Treasure Island). The map he used was from his plays with his children (see Lloyd Osbourne memories). H G Wells was also sometimes reusing these maps (see Little Wars and Floor Games).

- derive a map from the plot they use. The map is detailed where the plot takes place but the rest of the land is quite vague. It is completed afterwards to provide land backgrounds to some characters.

What was of paramount importance was that the plot fit the land and that any character which was of importance in the plot could be geographically linked and its motivations partly justified by its geographic origins.

Hope that helps.
Ghostly yours,
Red.

Do you wish to convert your hand drawn map into a binary one for display on your computer ?

If so, can you precise what is the desired result on the computer ?

Ghostly yours,
Red.

Hi,

Thanks for you support. Tim, SMO's 2D artist made a map ill give you a pic of it.
Enjoy.

May I recomend you to go with a hand-drawn map that's been edited to look old? IMHO it improves game immersion and just feels better. Offcourse, this is a matter of personal preference. Anyway, here's an example of what I'm talking about - a world map which I drew form my homebrew Dungeons&Dragons campaign setting:
http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p40600012xx.jpg
I'd offer to draw such a map for you, but my scanner is dead :(

Hi thanks for the advice we are still developing the map but if you wanted to help I would recommend you contact Tim to talk over it.And can I use that map by the way?And for handrawn map thats been edited to look old I dont think it will be very readable....though I like the idea i'll have to think over that one (Tim's email tims_89@hotmail.com)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!