Use a name other than my real name in my software's copyright notice?

Started by
1 comment, last by Obscure 17 years, 9 months ago
Sorry that I have asked this a few days ago, and I got a answer that I can't:
Quote:Original post by Obscure You would have to use your real name or the name of a registered company - it needs to be a real legal entity.
but after I read: http://www.iusmentis.com/copyright/crashcourse/requirements/ says about that in Berne Convention I don't really need a copyright notice, it's just for:
Quote: By including a copyright notice, the author indicates that he claims his copyright on the work, and so warns others that they may not use the work without his permission. No one can then claim that he did not know that the work was protected, or that he did not know who to contact to obtain permission.
so I think I may use any one of my nickname, my website's name, my group's name or my company's name just to claim the copyright? if it's made by a group, should I use my group's name(don't need register?) or every member's name or one of all members's name? Thanks!
Advertisement
U.S. copyright law allows you to register a copyright pseudonymously; however, there are severe limitations on the protection offered - largely because it's impossible to prove that you're the same person as the fake name you use. I am no copyright law expert by any means, but if I remember correctly, an unregistered pseudonymous copyright is basically worthless - that is, it means nothing.

I have no idea how that might apply in other countries.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by savedbygamesandcodes
Sorry that I have asked this a few days ago, and I got a answer that I can't:
Quote:Original post by Obscure
You would have to use your real name or the name of a registered company - it needs to be a real legal entity.

but after I read:
http://www.iusmentis.com/copyright/crashcourse/requirements/
says about that in Berne Convention I don't really need a copyright notice, it's just for:
Quote:
By including a copyright notice, the author indicates that he claims his copyright on the work, and so warns others that they may not use the work without his permission. No one can then claim that he did not know that the work was protected, or that he did not know who to contact to obtain permission.

so I think I may use any one of my nickname.....

Because X is true does not mean that Y is OK.
You don't need a [proper] copyright notice to gain the protection of copyright. It is up to you to display one or not. However this fact does not make it OK to use an incorrect copyright notice.

As ApochPiQ said, how will you prove that you are this made up character?

Quote:.....my website's name, my group's name or ....
again, just made up names. How can you PROVE in court that this name and you are one and the same.

Quote:my company's name just to claim the copyright?
That would be great... if it is a real, registered company but if it is a made up company name (not a real registered company) then it is meaningless.

Quote:if it's made by a group, should I use my group's name(don't need register?) or every member's name or one of all members's name?
If the game is made by a group of people then they own the copyright on the works that they create UNLESS you are employing them and have a contract which assigns their rights to you.

Intellectual property (if the game is a huge hit) is worth a lot of money but defending your copyright in court or settling a disagreement between team members over who owns what (because you didn't have a proper contract) will cost hundreds of thousands of pounds. If this is a proper business then you need to spend the money and have a lawyer make a contract. If this is a bunch of people making a hobby project then you won't have the hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to go to court over your copyright so there is no point in worrying about it.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement