• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hoover85

Basics of timers

This topic is 4489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I could't find any good tutorials of how to make timers for Direct3D games, that for example fires every second. I'we read that there are these three timers to choose from, but I'm not sure which of them is to prefer when I want to calculate the FPS from my game. I'm also going to use the timer to synchronize some stuff, so it should be quite accurate. I'we read that the Windows.Forms.Timer is pretty inaccurate, but is it really so inaccurate, that it's not recommended to be used in games? I know the basics of timers, but since it was too easy to use them in Winforms-application that I made, I don't know how to write them manually... It was so simple to just drag and drop the timer into an application with Winforms applications. ;)

Advertisement
There aren't really any timers built into DirectX - some of the utility libraries such as DXUT wrap regular Win32 timers, but thats about it.

I'll move this over to 'General Programming' as its the more relevant place to ask this sort of question. Having said that, you mention Windows Forms - if you want answers in terms of the .NET platform then you may want to have this moved over to the .NET forum... [smile]

It may or may not be useful, but this short article was worth reading when I last had fun with timing.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!