• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

NaaC (Arena Shooter)

This topic is 4335 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi to all, I'd like you to try this game: it's a fast Arena shooter, simple in its structure (2 game modes, single-room, single-level), but really funny. We put a lot of effort in polishing and balancing this game thanks to a large beta-test; some of you could find this game not so deep, but that's it: action, fun and blood. There's an online hi-score table, too. Made with Multimedia Fusion. All gfx and sounds are original. http://www.bloodymonkey.com/ Some other screenshots: Plasma Gun Title screen ...Mulinex

Advertisement
I dug it a lot, man. Big Smash TV fan here and this was a nice skew on it. I'd say it would be missing two player modes. Even if it's only hotseat two-player, even if you have to use gamepads w/dual sticks versus your mouse controls, that's what's missing for me. Otherwise, I'll be recommending my friends check this out!

Actually, there's a part of me that wants to play this with a gamepad anyway. I imagine you thought about it at one point.

Tony

Quote:
Original post by anthemaudio
I dug it a lot, man. Big Smash TV fan here and this was a nice skew on it. I'd say it would be missing two player modes. Even if it's only hotseat two-player, even if you have to use gamepads w/dual sticks versus your mouse controls, that's what's missing for me. Otherwise, I'll be recommending my friends check this out!

Actually, there's a part of me that wants to play this with a gamepad anyway. I imagine you thought about it at one point.

That's true, those two things are missing... with two players, do you mean cooperative mode?
How would you implement right-stick control on a gamepad? Only change direction e push a trigger to shoot, or direction+shoot at the same moment?

First off, yeah two player cooperative. There was a bit of rivalry too when it came to pickups and other items.

Secondly, in Smash TV you have two analog sticks. One controls movements the other controls the direction you are shooting. So just by moving the right stick in a direction shoots the gun in that direction.

You would basically have the same control mechanics here. I just found myself trying to shoot in a general direction rather than use the reticle. When you use the reticle you actually do a lot better, but you lose kind of a connection with where your player is and it doesn't seem as frantic anymore.

With gamepad control and no reticle you would have a little less sophisticated aiming while adding a greater sense of urgency and panic at the same time.

That's what I think anyways. Have you ever played Abuse? Old game using the same mechanic but it was a sidescroller. WASD controlled player movement, mouse controlled where you aimed. Once you get past that idea (and it was pretty damn new at the time) the game did start to flow, but when you started getting crowded with enemies and started to panic you really just shot in a direction while trying to stay untouched. That's when it got exciting!

I still think your game is awesome and I'm still firing it up every few hours to play.

By the way, some of those sound effects are a bit familiar. Are any of them from Quake 1? I'm an audio guy so I spot these things. If not, they are pretty similar. (Also, could use some more in your face music to put the player off kilter!)

Thanks for making a fun game!

Tony

You are right in some points... but mouse aiming gives higher precision than keyboard (by the way, how many pc players have a dual analog joypad? I'm quite ignorant in this field...).

Anyway aiming reticle is necessary only with rocket launcher (you can create an explosion between a group of alien); it would be useful also with homing missiles; but with all other weapons it's quite useless, as you said.

Nevertheless, I tried a shooter - Grid Wars (http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/) - where you can aim with mouse but without aming reticle, with your sight rotating around player's sprite: it was quite a pain playing with that.

I would say, if anyone has a gamepad now, they've got dual joysticks.

Who knows what that would do to your gameplay mechanics, maybe break them altogether. I also might be thinking in this pattern because I want co-op multiplayer and it would be difficult with the mouse aiming.

Wow I love it! x]

Lots of fun, man!
All I can say is... Add extra lives! I died when the 1 boss had like 5% health left -_-'
Edit: Ow right! There WERE extra lives... lost them though, heh, I suck.. ^^

Is it possible to save? It should be... :) if more levels exist.

PS: Hehe, the main menu looks sooo much like the old DooM games :P

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!