• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HaXzTeR

C# Form on top in game

This topic is 4341 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. First I just want to say that I don't have any experience in game programming or Directx, so please don't flame me on my question :) I'm a software developer, but have never worked with directx and yesterday I was given a task to make a software that will be visible when running full screen DX applications or games. The software is to be an ingame tool with functions like web browser etc. So my question is: How can I make the form run on top of DX game? As i have 0 experience with DX, I really don't know where to start. Is there anyone than can provide me with some C# code / example project on how to do this? I'm really blank in this field :) (i'm using visual studio 2005). Best Regards.

Advertisement
Hey,

I'm a bit unknowledgeable with DX, but, are you sure its even possible to have a window co-exist with a full screen application?

For that matter, why would you want to? It is somewhat going against the "look-and-feel" of the fullscreen environment, although, you may have your own reasons for doing so.

Is there really no way to run it out of fullscreen?

Sorry, just trying to offer suggestions as nobody else has said anything.

J

Thanks for replaying, been very quiet :)

Yes it's possible, I have seen it done several times.

What I want, is to have a small button bar inside the game.
This button bar will contain buttons for web browser, chat , notebook etc.

When buttons are clicked I will open new forms for web browser (still in game) etc.

All this I have seen in a similar "in game application" before, so I know it's possible :)

No, there is no option to run this game in windowed mode.

So please, if anyone know a solution, you will make my day.

Regards.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!