• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

resource editor

This topic is 4251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

vc++ express doesn't come with a resource editor. I read you can get a free one but I forget what a resource editor does again, what is it again? Do you need a resource editor to program win32 apps UI controls programmatically.

Advertisement
no, a resource editor edits Windows resources such as dialogs, icons and bitmaps, menus, accelerators, and string tables in a visual way. a resource editor isn't really needed as everything can be hand-coded. however, things like placing controls in dialog boxes visually in a resource editor is a time-saver (rather than editing the RC file and fiddling with all the position values). also, a resource editor, like the one visual studio standard and on comes with, adds a lot of junk code so I prefer to hand-code everything except for dialogs.

Quote:
Original post by yadango
no, a resource editor edits Windows resources such as dialogs, icons and bitmaps, menus, accelerators, and string tables in a visual way. a resource editor isn't really needed as everything can be hand-coded. however, things like placing controls in dialog boxes visually in a resource editor is a time-saver (rather than editing the RC file and fiddling with all the position values). also, a resource editor, like the one visual studio standard and on comes with, adds a lot of junk code so I prefer to hand-code everything except for dialogs.

I am trying to understand hand coded UI but all the examples I find use resource.h and the vc++ 2005 has no resource editor. I don't know how to get rid of the resource editior stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement