Xtreme Moped Racing released

Started by
3 comments, last by Joni-Matti 17 years, 9 months ago
Hi! I have released my first 3D game called Xtreme Moped Racing. It is a freeware racing simulation where the player races with a moped. The game includes a single player mode where the player races against the clock and a multiplayer mode where the player races against other players (2-6 players). For more information about the game, visit: http://www.elisanet.fi/jmaatta/xtrememopedracing/ The link to the game package can be found on the site, but if you prefer, here's a direct link to it. Regards, Joni-Matti Määttä
Advertisement
The name for this game made me crack up. In a good way.

I'm downloading it now.

Edit: Okay, I've played it now.

What I liked:
-Nice music
-GUI well done, nice mini-map, nice speedometer
-Ran nicely with no troubles

What I didn't like:
-Not enough challenge, I got bored becuase I was just racing myself, nothing the guage how well I'm doing. Then it ends and I find out that there's no defualt scores for highscores and I have no way of telling how well I did. Mabye add rocks to avoid, other players, jumps, oil slicks, water that you can't go in, etc.
-It only seemed to count some of my laps. I had to go around 5 times for the Tanzania map.
-Booster needs more of an effect or some visual difference.

[Edited by - Ezbez on July 6, 2006 8:11:03 AM]
There is, in fact, some rocks to avoid in Finland I. And there's jumps in the UK. I didn't want all tracks to be similar and to consist of same objects. Although diversity would have been welcome, it would have required too much time since I did this all almost by myself and I'm mainly a programmer.

And the counting of laps: it is not a bug. The tracks are strict about shortcutting, so even being slightly off-track is punished. You will notice it when the lap doesn't change on the finish line. Especially Tanzania and USA is very strict about it. It was best noticed when testing the multiplayer mode: my friend occasionally shortcutted slightly at some point and didn't get a lap; I, on the other hand, stayed strictly on the track and didn't get any laps discarded.

The boost visualization would have been cool, but one thing at a time. This was still my first real game project.
Congrats!

It's more of a technology demo than a real game. :)

Anyway, size of the game is horrible, don't do CreateTempFileOf100mb(). ;) Nobody wants to download big freeware games. I think you could have done it in 20 mb or less.

Good luck with next projects, looks promising!
Sincerely,Arto RuotsalainenDawn Bringer 3D - Tips & Tricks
Well, the size of the game is caused by the use of DDS texture format. The size problem will be fixed in the next game project where I will use probably PNG for textures.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement