Seeking artist for Secret of Mana style game

Started by
8 comments, last by WorldPlanter 17 years, 9 months ago
Hey people, I'll try and keep this really short and sweet.. I'm looking for a talented 3d character artist to help out with a fairly well developed project I've been working on. Its an action RPG inspired by Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. http://caelestis.dotblip.com/screenshots.html It runs on almost all platforms (including consoles). I've taken the project about as far as I can without getting an artist involved.. I dont have the art skills to do it myself anymore.. I'd really like an artist to help me out making it look nice so I can release a demo.. I dont expect too much of your time, I'd even be happy with just 1 character and a nice looking scene.. Just something to show the potential of the game, that will at least help make a good demo and attract other artists to the project if you dont have a lot of time. Any feedback/questions are welcome, and feel free to talk on my project forum too (link on the website). Oh, I'd also really like to find a web designer too to help make the website look presentable :) Hopefully i'll be releasing a playable demo some time soon.. Its all running, i just want some real art for the release so people can take it a bit more seriously.. - Manu
Advertisement
This should probably belong in Help Wanted.

Project looks really good, though! It'd be an excellent venue for artists that want to work in very poly-limited arenas.

That said, as someone who has trained many other novice artists, be wary of new artists, despite your will to just get the game done. The current art looks pretty good, IMO. A sub-par artist who doesn't understand efficiency or doesn't have sufficient experience may damage your game more than help it.

Good luck!
-------------www.robg3d.com
Hey thanks for your comments.
Yeah I've tried to work with inexperienced artists before. Its often very difficult, and i agree, it can be damaging to the project if i found the wrong person.

I should also say, that despite my current very low poly art (thats my whole programmer super-efficiency things kicking in!), i'm not specifically looking for super low-poly models.. Ideally, i'd like to have 2 versions, one for high end systems, and one for low end systems (PSP for example as shown in that screenshot). But i'd prefer focus on the high poly version for now.. I want to be able to release an impressive looking demo.

I do want to maintain the general feel I've tried to define however. Bright colourful and simple textures with relatively simple shapes. Makes it fun and easy to look at, and also requires less overall artist time.

Ideally, I'd like to find another professional who enjoys working on home projects or has a shared sentimental attachment to this style of game. I dont want to discourage anybody though :)
hmmm.... i actually wouldn't mind helping you out in this project except for your game style if more cartoony, and i just prefer realistic modeling/texturing. however you should checkout the help wanted section, but to make sure you don't get screwed you should setup some criteria they must meet along with asking for a portfolio and previous projects, just to make sure you get some one who;
1.) fits the art style of the game.
2.) good with lowpoly modeling.
3.) is dependable and can get stuff done.
goodluck.

"It'd be an excellent venue for artists that want to work in very poly-limited arenas"... lol, i don't believe ay 3d artist "prefers" to work with super lowpoly models, most of the novices tend to prefer high poly since they can model and be worry free, and those that are experienced tend to want to model in high poly so they can add even more detail into thier works...
but, perhaps some out there prefer lowpoly modeling... i just haven;t seen any :)
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
I would licke to halp if you be more specific i could do sample to show you.
cool.
please send me a sample of some of your work.
my email is 'turkeyman at gmail dot com'.
(that go's for anybody else too :)

what style would you say is your strength?

if you send me an email, i'll try and detail the project more thoroughly.
but what you see is loosely what i want. except higher poly+quality with a little more overall detail and creativity.
I'm sorry I didn't have time this week I'll send you samples in caple of days
wow, beautiful... man i just cant stand seeing programmers create games one after another while artist must either work for them or watch in tears... oh how we artist cant do it ourselves...

*crys and drinks filter water
well i wouldn't like to think i'm finding someone to "work for me" .. i prefer to look at it as finding someone to be a part of the project.. and i'm sure there are artists out there that have similar sentimental attachments to this style game as myself..

i think programmers generally have the edge in developing their own ideas mainly because most coders can do lame placeholder art at least to some extent, and then they can physically put it all together and make it into a playable game. a programmer can develop the game to a greater level before needing to get other people involved, and by that point, the fundimental game design cant really change too much..

but mark my words, we have extreme trouble finding artists :)
and without them, the game will never be anything!

i actually think there's room for an artist to develop their game to a level where they could find a programmer willing to 'work for them' on their idea... you'd have to show concept/design and some nice looking artwork, and someone would surely be happy to put it all together.. it would probably even be easier to find a programmer than a programmer finding an artist i dare say. ;)
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937
"It'd be an excellent venue for artists that want to work in very poly-limited arenas"... lol, i don't believe ay 3d artist "prefers" to work with super lowpoly models, most of the novices tend to prefer high poly since they can model and be worry free, and those that are experienced tend to want to model in high poly so they can add even more detail into thier works...
but, perhaps some out there prefer lowpoly modeling... i just haven;t seen any :)

Well fortunately with the introduction of normal maps to the game industry artists can now practice both their low and high poly modeling skills. This particular project doesn't appear to have normal map support, so I guess this is beside the point, but I thought I'd bite on your comment. Personally, I enjoy low poly modeling if it's aided by a high-resolution model for the normal because it challenges me to stick to a budget, which in turn makes my geometry cleaner, my poly-flow more logical, and sometimes allows me to finish the model in less time because I'm not continually adding detail that can be added at the material level.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement