• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game programming mania

This topic is 4247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So here is the deal, me and a friend of mine will lock ourselfs away over the weekend and code as much as we can. Both of us are fairly experienced when it comes to programming. Usually we do stuff from scratch but this time we thought we would take a different approach and use one or several popular free libraries, like ogre3d, raknet and so on. It would be cool to use a rapid development language like python but since both of us mainly use c++ then that is probably what we will use this time also. I think it would be a misstake to try fit in learning a new language too. Our goal is to produce some kind of simple game. 3d + multiplayer would be a good guess. Minimal time will be spent on artwork to maximize the coding time. So the questions to you who reads this is: What tools would you recommend that we use? What is your best tip on approaching and completing this task? Any sort of input that can help us would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement
I could probably do this, but then again I'm sitting on like seven years worth of old code that I can adapt and work with. I really would recommend a language like Python -- you can re-use old C++ modules with it using SWIG and play with OpenGL via PyOpenGL. Twisted is a badass networking framework.

The most important thing is to make a giant to-do list of features and cut them. Don't bother making new art, either -- find some crap off polycount and work with it.

Hopefully you already have some basecode; otherwise it'll be somewhat of a bearcat getting a decent C++ app up and talking over the network.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I could probably do this, but then again I'm sitting on like seven years worth of old code that I can adapt and work with. I really would recommend a language like Python -- you can re-use old C++ modules with it using SWIG and play with OpenGL via PyOpenGL. Twisted is a badass networking framework.

The most important thing is to make a giant to-do list of features and cut them. Don't bother making new art, either -- find some crap off polycount and work with it.

Hopefully you already have some basecode; otherwise it'll be somewhat of a bearcat getting a decent C++ app up and talking over the network.

I've been thinking about checking python out for a while now, but I don't think this weekend is the time for it. A better approach is probably to add python as a scripting language to my own engine. (Can't really decide if I should go with lua or python)

Features will be kept at a minimum. Right now I'm more interested the structure of a game rather than isolated features. The other thing I'm interested in is checking out different 3rd party components. Maybe I'll find a few that I can add to my other projects.

I feel like I'm in a regime shift in my programming evolution. I'm moving from performance focus to productivity focus.

This is a fun thing to do, I created a complete game in about 12 hours last I tried, that was a few months ago. I suggest using fmod for sound, and boost.org has some good general purpose algorithms you could use. As far as using a scripting language I would forget it, unless every library you are using can already seamlessly use it, you are going to spend more time writing glue code than gaming code, especially for a short project.

"I feel like I'm in a regime shift in my programming evolution. I'm moving from performance focus to productivity focus."

Man that is a good thing to read, everyday I strive to not focus on performance and rather getting things done, it is a lot harder said than done :) Loving programming, its hard not to concentrate on performance, but I think that is a major thing that consumes most people to the level that they never finish their project.

if you go for a standard quake3 bsp type of 3d shooter then there is plenty of materials on the web

Rasterman:

Fmod is on our list.

Right now it looks like it will be:

Ogre3d + raknet + ode + fmod (+python)

It looks like this weekend is turning into a library testing weekend which isn't necesserily a bad thing. I think quite the opposite that it will be very useful for our progress (as gameprogrammers).

Quote:
Original post by dawidjoubert
if you go for a standard quake3 bsp type of 3d shooter then there is plenty of materials on the web

I'll think we'll go with something simpler this time.

Maybe something like non animating characters inside a cube or on a plane with a few obstacles, shooting at each other.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement