• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Garbage Collection Question

This topic is 4333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I've just stumbled upon some code from an MS training book and noticed that the new keyword has been called multiple times on the same object. This is certainly not something I would do, purely from the affects this has from a C++ point-of-view. However, because it's C#, I'm unsure as to whether this would create a memory leak, or as my gut is telling me, the object that no longer has a reference to it, is marked for garbage collection. Snippet of the code to illustrate:
using System;

namespace test
{
	public class Foo
	{

}

class TestClass
	{
		static void Main()
		{
			Foo bar = new Foo();
			bar = new Foo();	// What happens internally here?

// ...
		}
	}
}

So which one is correct: memory leak or marked for garbage collection? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
It'll get garbage collected. And since .NET uses a generational garbage collection mechanism, chances are it'll be collected quite quickly.

Damn that was quick! Cheers! Rate++ didn't seem to do anything to your rating. Thought that counts? [wink]

From experience, you should still be as careful as possible, as garbage collection can happen at an arbitrarily long interval.

When dealing with objects that don't have side-effects this is okay because as soon as memory reaches that arbitrary point it gets collected. The problems start occurring when side effects such as calling unmanaged code occur. For example with open connections to a database or file.

Also, garbage collection does run on an idle thread, but may take up cpu eventually if no idle time has occurred.

So, only create objects that you need and dispose and/or null out objects that you are done with.

This will add pressure to the garbage collector and also will free up unmanaged resources more quickly, which is almost always the desired outcome.

Yeah agreed mate. As I say, this code came from an MS training book, but I can't see myself using the same approach. Before I'd seen this snippet, I'd never even considered doing this as it gives me the feeling it's just asking for trouble at some point or another.

on the first line, the reference 'bar' gets assigned to an object.
So the first Foo() instance has 1 reference pointing to it.

on the second line, bar is made to reference a new instance of Foo. The first instance of Foo no longer has any references.

At this point, generally, nothing will happen.

It is important to know that the GC generally only does a collection when it has to. It will also do it far more often if the CPU is idle. It's very dynamic and *very* smart.

So... assuming later on, there are spare cpu cycles lying around, or the allocator is starting to run out of memory that has been allocated to the application. In such a case, the GC will run a 'first generation' GC. In this case, it will basically look for objects with a reference count of zero (such as the first instance of Foo) and collect that memory. First generation GC is very fast.
You cannot predict when this will happen, and should not force it either (ie, don't use GC.Collect())
If you make an allocation, and not enough memory is free, *and* not enough memory is collected, then one of two things will happen:
more memory will be allocated
or the GC will do a higher generation collection.

Higher generation collections are *very* slow, as they have to take into account the following:

object A references object B.
object B references object A.

Nothing else references either object A or B.

Consider it... Both object instances have 1 reference pointing to themselves, yet both are useless (and need to be collected) because nothing important refernces them.
In such a case the GC will have to do a very expensive test on the memory allocations/reference graphs, to find groups of objects that are no longer being used.
I cannot stress how expensive this is.

Multigenerational GC can also crop up when dealing with boxed structs, and threading can complicate things.

In short, if you get performance problems, it is the first place to look (ie, get the CLR profiler and look for higher generation GC's in the memory allocation timeline, and look for what objects are piling up just before it.

I've had cases where 1 line of code was causing a multi-generational GC on a structure that represented an objects 3d transformation. With a large number of these objects per frame (10,000 - stress test) the performance hit was massive because there was literally many, many MBs of memory needing to be collected as higher generation GC every second. Fixing this boosted perforamnce by a factor of over 10x.

Quote:
Original post by BradSnobar
When dealing with objects that don't have side-effects this is okay because as soon as memory reaches that arbitrary point it gets collected. The problems start occurring when side effects such as calling unmanaged code occur. For example with open connections to a database or file.

True. The best solution to this is still to dispose such resources as soon as you don't need them anymore. Also, whenever possible, use the using idiom to avoid forgetting disposal (and it works well with exceptions, too).

Quote:
Original post by RipTorn
In this case, it will basically look for objects with a reference count of zero (such as the first instance of Foo) and collect that memory.

No reference counts.

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Quote:
Original post by RipTorn
In this case, it will basically look for objects with a reference count of zero (such as the first instance of Foo) and collect that memory.

No reference counts.

Well, it's more complex than that (object graph, and reachable references, etc.), but as far as us, the programmers are concerned, it's just reference counting. You can get jiggy with it and do some cool stuff with WeakReference, but at the end of the day, when there are no more references to an object, it is ready for garbage collection.

Here's a great read on the topic:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetgcbasics.asp

written by Rico Mariani, who's blog is brilliant:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!