Switch Statements

Started by
14 comments, last by TrueTom 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by SamLowry
Why wouldn't you want switch to work with more types? C#'s switch works on strings, it surely comes in handy sometimes. O'Caml/SML/Haskell use switch-like statements for pattern matching. Lisp has cond, the most general switch possible, which works with predicates (but then again can't be optimised by the compiler). And why shouldn't it also work on floating point values? Just make it smart enough so that it knows it has to work with epsilons for comparisons.

Of course, it depends on where to draw the line between what is a switch and what isn't.

I consider switch to be stylistically deprecated, with the exception of performance hacks.

Now, it's awfully useful for the hacks (and I do use it for that), but: In general, the type of behavior that switch is mean to handle is "I'm running some general purpose code, and now I'm going to specialize my action based on some sub-type." That type of thing is usually more elegantly handled with polymorphism.

All that said, if C++ did support a switch on a float, it would be a huge mistake for it to work with epsilons. C++ doesn't intrinsically support an "almost equal" for floating point types, and it wouldn't make sense to start embedding that in any extensions.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by JasonBlochowiak
Now, it's awfully useful for the hacks (and I do use it for that), but: In general, the type of behavior that switch is mean to handle is "I'm running some general purpose code, and now I'm going to specialize my action based on some sub-type." That type of thing is usually more elegantly handled with polymorphism.

This seems to be common sense but isn't always the best solution.

Quote:Steve Yegge wrote:
In the meantime, I hope I've made my main point clear, which is that polymorphism only makes sense when the polymorphic behavior is really a behavior of the target. When it's the behavior of the observer, you need runtime typing.

When Polymorphism Fails

<edit> Which is going to be a bit offtopic, sorry for that, but it is still a good read</edit>
Why wouldn't you want switch to work with more types? C#'s switch works on strings, it surely comes in handy sometimes. O'Caml/SML/Haskell use switch-like statements for pattern matching. Lisp has cond, the most general switch possible, which works with predicates (but then again can't be optimised by the compiler). And why shouldn't it also work on floating point values? Just make it smart enough so that it knows it has to work with epsilons for comparisons.

Of course, it depends on where to draw the line between what is a switch and what isn't.

I consider switch to be stylistically deprecated, with the exception of performance hacks.

So, in a way, if-statements are also hacks?

You should take a look at SmallTalk if you don't know it yet, it might become your new favorite language.
Quote:Original post by TrueTom

This seems to be common sense but isn't always the best solution.

Quote:Steve Yegge wrote:
In the meantime, I hope I've made my main point clear, which is that polymorphism only makes sense when the polymorphic behavior is really a behavior of the target. When it's the behavior of the observer, you need runtime typing.

When Polymorphism Fails

<edit> Which is going to be a bit offtopic, sorry for that, but it is still a good read</edit>

Well, clearly the most coherent point that emerges from that post is that you shouldn't blog after three glasses of wine.

His secondarily useful point is that you shouldn't spread clumps of client behavior around like they were dandylion seeds in a tornado. How exactly that hard-binds to whether or not polymorphism is an appropriate choice for a task at hand eludes me at the moment, though.

Anyways, note that I implicitly avoided Golden Hammer syndrome in my original post, by specifically providing an example of when my primary point doesn't apply, as well as using the incredibly useful escape hatch of "is usually more elegantly handled ...". :)

So, in a way, if-statements are also hacks?

You should take a look at SmallTalk if you don't know it yet, it might become your new favorite language.

No, if statements by themselves aren't hacks. Properly used, they evaluate a set of conditions - not a set of types. Types can be determined effectively at compile or object creation time, and shouldn't generally need to be queried all the time.

This:

if (s == "something") ;else if (s == "somethingelse") ;else if (s == "ohnonotmore") ;else if (s == "dearsweet(subdeityofyourchoice)makeitstop") ;else if (s == "pleeeese") ;else Throw("My lack of planning has lead you to this exception");

use of if statements is a hack. Unfortunately, it's one that actually shows up in some folks' production code - sometimes running to multiple pages.

Obviously, all this boils down to a judgement call - in real production environments with full sized teams, even with quality coders, there's more of a tendency to put new judgement-based-on-type code in new (mostly client) code, rather than pushing it down towards leaf classes when appropriate. I've seen far less instances of over-distribution of responsibility than I've seen inappropriate under-distribution; hence, my leanings are towards preventing the under-distribution.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Smalltalk was fun to play with, but its performance is nowhere near what's necessary for commercial game production (at least for core code). Then again, it's been almost 10 years since I last took a look...
Anyways, note that I implicitly avoided Golden Hammer syndrome in my original post, by specifically providing an example of when my primary point doesn't apply, as well as using the incredibly useful escape hatch of "is usually more elegantly handled ...". :)

That wasn't meant as critisicm by any means, just ranting that most people claim that using switch with the type of an object is bad and you should use polymorphism instead, but don't realize that the switch is nothing else than overloading a function (which is just a different kind of polymorphism).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement