Using SDL with DirectX

Started by
2 comments, last by nullsquared 17 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask you how to set up DirectX for SDL, i wanted to get ability to rotate sprites without making many copies of the same sprite under other angles. I heard it can be done with Opengl, but i already downloaded Direct X SDK so i wanted to try with it. I'm using Dev-C++.
Advertisement
Article on using Direct3d 9.0 with SDL. [wink]
Since DirectX is to Windows, what SDL is to many operating systems (Mac OS, Linux, BSD, Windows, etc), it seems a little odd to want to mix the two. If you're simply looking for sprite functionality, then SDL + (sprite lib of your choice) might be a more logical solution. Kyra might be of interest to you.
Quote:Original post by MatrixCubed
Since DirectX is to Windows, what SDL is to many operating systems (Mac OS, Linux, BSD, Windows, etc), it seems a little odd to want to mix the two. If you're simply looking for sprite functionality, then SDL + (sprite lib of your choice) might be a more logical solution. Kyra might be of interest to you.

Direct3D has hardware-accelerated rotation, tranlation, alpha, etc. Any "sprite library" will do all these things in software - which if done at realtime will make things slow as hell.

Many people like to use Direct3D with SDL, since SDL is much lighter than win32, it makes sense.

Even though I am using OpenGL with SDL under windows, I have absolutely no intention of porting to any other system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement