• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is this a triangulated irregular network?

This topic is 4337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can a torus, a sphere or a generic surface be a TIN? So, if we represent overhangs and caves, are we still having a TIN? What's the difference between any model from a 3d tool and a TIN? (Is a TIN used as a 3d surface representation or is only used in terrain modelling field?) Thank you ;)

Advertisement
AFAIK a TIN is any surface that's modeled with non-overlapping triangles. Any well modeled mesh that gets sent to a graphics card would be a TIN. I believe that the "non-overlapping" part of the definition means that the triangles do not intersect, not that they can't occupy the same x coordinates if their z is different. So folded objects like a cave would be classified as a TIN as long as none of the triangles intersected with eachother.

-me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!